Join TexasGunTalk

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Moonpie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Just a few more than 9 rounds...

2. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Active Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm thinking about reloading - again.

I was thinking about it before but got scared off by the equipment cost and space required and by the warnings about being careful and exacting. I don't want to blow myself up.

Yet, I can't help gravitating back towards reloading videos.

Then I see the Lee Portable Press. I could do that in my bedroom and easily keep it stashed away when not in use. And, a single-stage press makes it tempting. It actually looks kinda fun.

I don't have my own place. I just have one bedroom in my daughter's apartment (hopefully soon-to-be house). In a house with 5 grandkids. So, very little space.

I don't think being super exacting would be TOO difficult if I don't load a lot of different calibers.

Questions:
    What do y'all think of the Lee Portable Press. Does it work well? Does it take a huge amount of strength to make up for the fact that it's not bolted down?

Also, a guy I used to work with found out that I was thinking of reloading. He said that it's not worth the trouble for small pistol calibers like I would be doing (9mm, 380acp, 32acp, and 32s&wlong). He said something about it being a lot more trouble when the rounds are small, something about them being harder to work with.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

3. rp-

rp- TGT Addict

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The key to saving money on rounds like 9 and 380 is to buy in bulk. The 32s probably about the same. If you are only planning on loading 50-100 rss for each it's still gonna be more trouble than it's worth. If you plan to load 10,000 rounds you're able to buy bill powder, bullets, and primers and get the coat per round down to a point we're you can save money. But then again, you'll probably be upgrading presses reeeeeally soon...

As for the press itself, I've never used one. I can't imagine it being super hard to use though. Those rounds aren't inherently hard rounds to load. In fact, quite the opposite. Those are easy rounds. So don't let that part discourage you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

roadapple and Dancing Heretik like this.
  4. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have never used the Lee hand press and don't have any interest in it either.

A good O frame press is a long term investment. C clamp it down for portable use if room is an issue.

That being said, look for used equipment deals. They are out there. Also make friends with people that reload. Trade equipment use for components or labor.

At this time I recommend loading up on components and factory ammo. It really isn't worth getting into reloading for small amounts of normal rounds but have everything ready if/ when ammo prices skyrocket again.

All that being said I love reloading as a hobby so if you are looking for that then it is a win-win situation.

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  5. Dawico

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Emptied a pile of brass yesterday and left a bunch in the tumbler overnight. Should be nice and shiny when I get it out later.

6. TheMailMan

TheMailMan TGT Addict

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    If I was going to get a hand press it would be this one.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/products/buchanan-precision-machine-hand-reloading-press

You're going to save a LOT of money loading for the .32s. Not so much for the .380 and the 9mm. You can almost buy loaded 9mm ammo for what you have to pay for bullets. The key to saving money loading for 9mm is to either buy in bulk, 10K bullets at a time or more, or casting your own.

It doesn't sound like you'd be able to cast.

How much of the .32s do you shoot every year? How much .380?

If you were closer I'd say come on over and I'll let you use my equipment, you could even cast your own bullets. But it would be quite the drive for ya.

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  7. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Dancing Heretic, do you ever come to Houston? You could try out my press and see if you like reloading.

How would your daughter feel about gunpowder and such in the house? Does she shoot? My wife isn't a fan but tolerates it because she loves me! One of our two daughters likes to shoot; other one is one of them: liberal.

8. rp-

rp- TGT Addict

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Jesus man the guy wants to drink and your tossing him in the river!!! He's gonna get the bug so bad he'll rent a storage unit to cast and reload. Pour guys gonna be broke by the end of the month!

roadapple and TheMailMan like this.
  9. rp-

rp- TGT Addict

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Jesus man the guy wants to drink and your tossing him in the river!!! He's gonna get the bug so bad he'll rent a storage unit to cast and reload. Pour guys gonna be broke by the end of the month!

10. Dawico

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    *She

FYI

roadapple and TxStetson like this.