Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    To me the color is of no consequence. But there are those who would pay extra for "their" colors. Just look at the "zombie" shotgun shells they sell at Academy for a stupid high price.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you cast but you have to lube the bullets somehow. The powder coat acts as the lube and protects the barrel from leading. The color is just a bonus.

I do like that I can tell by looking at the bullets what bat h they came out off. All those different color 9s with be separated and loaded 1 color at a time. Then if there's a problem with a bullet I'll pull that whole batch and scrap them (depending on what the issue is).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    These colors are from Smoke4320 on the cast boolits forum. His powders work really nicely. That one is called brown orange and I noticed it's very "UT" when I first used it years ago. Shot with a couple guys who bitched about it. I'm one of them dumb Californian guys so what do I know about football anyway. It coats and that all I cared about.

I just ordered some of that brown orange today, along with the yellow green and signal violet from Smoke4320. I wanted the pink for some 30-30 rounds for my granddaughter, but it wasn’t in stock. I’ve been using the BCB coatings from sscastsupplies and they have been great. Also ordered some pink from Eastwood to keep her happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The first color from smoke that I used was Carolina blue. I had great results with it and coated a few thousand bullets. The last batch of 45s I just did came out like crap though. Not sure what happened but the coating was very rough and thick. It was hard to size them in a lee sizing die and with how rough they were I figured they would have feeding issues. It was only about 200 bullets so I just tossed them in the trash.

I might try the color again but if it fails again I'll scrap the powder. Maybe it got wet or something. I've had that color for about 5 years but I also have about 9 other colors as well still. I'll che k a d if I have any pink I'll let you know.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Not sure if you cast but you have to lube the bullets somehow. The powder coat acts as the lube and protects the barrel from leading. The color is just a bonus.

I do like that I can tell by looking at the bullets what bat h they came out off. All those different color 9s with be separated and loaded 1 color at a time. Then if there's a problem with a bullet I'll pull that whole batch and scrap them (depending on what the issue is).

I do cast quite a bit, just haven't looked to much into the powder coating world. Ya know us old folks take a little longer to take to new fangled things...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I just discovered that Lee is in the process of changing over their expanders to more of an "M style". I ordered a spare 9mm powder-through-expander die so I wouldn't have to disassemble the setup I have in a Dillon tool head. I instantly noticed the expander funnel looked different. The expander is not as deep as the Lyman M expanders but it's still an improvement over the original.

At roughly $3 a piece I ordered replacements for most of mine, but they aren't all available yet. There's a list of the available ones here:

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Loaded a little over 400 .38 special with 158 lswc’s and 100 .45 colt with 200 grain lswc’s. The BCB coating in gun metal (.358) and blue (.452). This coating seams easier powder coating.
    IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So how long does it take you to cast 300, and is that a bottom-pour or ladle?
    Bottom pour lee 10# pot. I'm using a 6 cavity lee mould so it goes pretty quick. I probably spent 15-18 minutes to heat the pot and 20 minutes actually casting. I could have done more but I was sleepy.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Bottom pour lee 10# pot. I'm using a 6 cavity lee mould so it goes pretty quick. I probably spent 15-18 minutes to heat the pot and 20 minutes actually casting. I could have done more but I was sleepy.

Thanks. I'm thinking of taking casting back up after decades off. I couldn't remember. I don't currently have a six cavity though. Just a couple of two cavity RCBS from back in the day.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Thanks. I'm thinking of taking casting back up after decades off. I couldn't remember. I don't currently have a six cavity though. Just a couple of two cavity RCBS from back in the day.
    I've timed average casting sessions and notice the 6 cavity mould drops about 4-5 times as many bullets in a given time frame than a 2 cavity dies. Definately worth the investment if you're loading volume. I. Working on 4-5k 9mm to reload right now so the 6 cavity helps. I just ordered a 6 cavity for 40cal as well. I do still use a 2 cavity for low volume like for the 450 bushmaster... but I don't want to shoot 300 rounds through that thing in a sitting!

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I've timed average casting sessions and notice the 6 cavity mould drops about 4-5 times as many bullets in a given time frame than a 2 cavity dies. Definately worth the investment if you're loading volume. I. Working on 4-5k 9mm to reload right now so the 6 cavity helps. I just ordered a 6 cavity for 40cal as well. I do still use a 2 cavity for low volume like for the 450 bushmaster... but I don't want to shoot 300 rounds through that thing in a sitting!

The Lee six cavity molds aren't really much (if any) more than a 2 cavity from anybody else.

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    Finally started an initial load workup for a friend's 6.5 Grendel using 123 gr Hornady ELD-M bullets, CCI 450 primers, and increasing charges of IMR 8208 XBR.

We're using resized Hornady [Black] brass, which needed primer pocket reaming (which, as a novice to reloading this cartridge with this particular brass, I hadn't anticipated and wasn't prepared for).

Now, he and I just need to find time to get to the range and get them chronographed.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Pretty much all Hornady brass is crimped and requires reaming. That’s why I quit using it.

Perchowski

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Houston
    Just got a load worked up for my 6 dasher but lost my job so can't get out to shoot anymore. Pretty bummed. Looking for work in Houston area if anyone is hiring!

Top Bottom