Gun Zone Deals

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I am looking forward to the chronograph data report.
    It won't be anytime soon. It's part of a much larger project where I'm testing accuracy of factory .38 wadcutter loads. I have boxes of ammo from over 20 different manufacturers and it'll be quite a while before I get through all of it. Look for results about the end of next summer.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Been shooting the hell outta my 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor the last year. I call it my “group” therapy. Go to the range, and do my best to put 5 through one hole. Won’t say I’m bored, but decided I need a new project to do some load development on, so I got a Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde barrel and gonna put together another AR. Getting ready to work on some loads for it, and thought I’d get some input on powders. I’ve got 5 lb’s of CFE223, so I’m going to start with that, but there are a couple sites offering free hazmat with minimum purchase, so if there are better powders it might be the time to pick some up. Gonna be loading up some 55 grain FMJ for plinking, but I also have several other heavier bullets to test in the 60-75 grain weight. Should I pay the $50 a lb they are asking for Varget? Or just stick with the CFE223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Been shooting the hell outta my 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor the last year. I call it my “group” therapy. Go to the range, and do my best to put 5 through one hole. Won’t say I’m bored, but decided I need a new project to do some load development on, so I got a Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde barrel and gonna put together another AR. Getting ready to work on some loads for it, and thought I’d get some input on powders. I’ve got 5 lb’s of CFE223, so I’m going to start with that, but there are a couple sites offering free hazmat with minimum purchase, so if there are better powders it might be the time to pick some up. Gonna be loading up some 55 grain FMJ for plinking, but I also have several other heavier bullets to test in the 60-75 grain weight. Should I pay the $50 a lb they are asking for Varget? Or just stick with the CFE223?

I’ve shot my best 223 groups with H335 powder.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Varget aint all that for accuracy it's just a very multi use powder. In some calibers it actually only achieves moderate velocities compared to others. I stopped using it soon after I started. At $50 I just passed on it again for better choices in the mid to high $30 range.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Just cleaned the CVA barrel. Kids shot it a bunch (300BO hardcast PCd) with WSF - about 1400 fps. Sat out 3 nites (thermal) looking for hogs, no targets. Full moon, not best time. Need to find some 15 gal plastic barrels in DFW for bait.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Put together the new AR with the 223 Wylde Ballistic Advantage barrel, loaded up some Hornaday 73 grain ELD Match with CFE223, and headed to the range. Chrono was dead, but it was the best I’ve ever had an AR group. Worst 5 shot group of the 5 loads I tested was just under an 1 1/2”. Best was about .75”. That was just seating at mag length, which for a high BC bullet like the ELD, sat it pretty far into the case. Also took some 55 grain FMJ plinking rounds I loaded up with some H335 using the turret press and powder drop, and sent them down range. 10 shot group was almost right at 1”. I’m looking forward to doing load development for this rifle. Didn’t want to get too far into the weeds today, considering I just assembled the rifle, and was also testing that I had the gas block aligned right, and everything else functioned correctly. Not a single issue!

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I loaded some 110gr hollow base hollow point jacketed bullets for my 38 snubs. I didn't get to shoot a lot of them, maybe 30 or so, but in the 3" Taurus ultralite, recoil was pleasant. They chrono'd at an average of 940 fps. Not the fastest load, but not bad.
    I think I could go up to around 1050 - 1100 if I want to, before things start getting uncomfortable.

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    >Curiously, in .38 +P, they list the max at 4.7gr for HP-38 (same powder as W231) and with a jacketed 158gr bullet yet. I have been of the opinion for a decade or more that today's +P is yesterday's standard service load.
    Just think of it as kinder, gentler ammo...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    I could get on a soapbox here….
    Virtually everything has been dumbed down for safety or “Diversity“ reasons anymore and leave it at that.

Seasoned Reloaders will never get rid of the old manuals they have.
    That said, new reloaders and old manuals can get you in trouble pretty quickly if not careful.
    You can‘t fix stupid, but smokeless power can!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I could get on a soapbox here….
    Virtually everything has been dumbed down for safety or “Diversity“ reasons anymore and leave it at that.

Seasoned Reloaders will never get rid of the old manuals they have.
    That said, new reloaders and old manuals can get you in trouble pretty quickly if not careful.
    You can‘t fix stupid, but smokeless power can!

Old time powders are not the same as modern produced powders even then they share the same name.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Today I performed a double transplant on the Dillon. Ten years ago I upgraded one of my RL450's that I bought in 1983 to an RL 550 frame. Recently, after faithful service for 40 years and many tens of thousands of rounds, it started getting stiff. I diagnosed worn out swing arms. Dillon agreed. They just sent me new ones at no charge under their no BS warranty. She's back up and running. These things are hard to kill. The only thing left of my 450 is the ram and the stuff that bolts directly to it. Plus I still use the manual primer feed. I'll be cranking out .38's in short order.

Dillon.jpg

Cassivellaunus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2023
    Arlington, TX
    I didn't want to star a new thread for just one question so here it is.

Prvi Partizan Bullet 7.62x39 (.310) 123gr FMJ. I have my Nosler & Speer books which don't have tables for for my commie round and the Lyman 51st edition doesn't have tables for FMJ...WTF?!? Can't AK guys get any love? I also will be loading .300BLK. I'd prefer to use a common powder for both, Accurate 1680. I have experience loading 9mm & .303 British so I'm not a complete noob. Just need help finding proper charge tables. The Hodgdon site has data for Hornady SST and that's it. Shooter's Reference doesn't have data for FMJ either.

Attachments

• 20231124_223416.jpg
      20231124_223416.jpg
      314 KB · Views: 26

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Gaah - did a ladder load of rounds for 6.5 CM. I've loaded a bunch of them, but it always seems I get I don't get the chance to shoot them for precision.

Top Bottom