Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Summer busy season is over so it's time to start loading some more. Just ordered 5k sp primers from American and just picked up 2k lr primers from a local store for half price Monday as well! They were marked 7.99 a tray but I picked up a whole box and it rang up at 39.90. I came back at the end of the day and picked up another brick for the same price! I didn't tell anyone they were marked wrong...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Loaded up 50 rds of 6.5CM.

140g match bullets under some H4350.

72100778413__DEFDE54A-C76E-4F0A-907A-69B222A611D3.jpeg
    IMG_8625.jpeg

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Couple handfuls of 223 with Hornady 55 gr fmj over some powder in mixed cases and Remington 6 1/2 primers.
    Few handfuls of 243 with 85 gr Sierra hollow points molley coated over some powder in WW cases and cci BR2 primers.
    First loads in over two years.

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've got projects to do around the house today but I have a box of about 3k 9mm brass to start processing. Maybe after the kids go to bed I'll get on that. Also picked up a brick of srp from academy. Unfortunately they were not 39.90 like the last couple bricks I bought but that's OK. Still waiting on 5k spp from American reloading but should be here Monday. Loading season is upon us!

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Yesterday, tried out a few rounds I have reloaded in my old Savage 222. I had loaded a few loads using 40 gr. bullets and Re7. Not satisfied with the results. I fired one round of an old Remington Core-loct 50 gr. They sure shoot well, so I am going to hold on to the few I have left.

But I have some speer in 45 gr. I will probably try those next using W748 and magnum primers. I do have a pretty good load with 50 gr. Vmax. Just having fun playing around with my first centerfire rifle I bought over 40 years ago.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Finished loading the last of my .41 Magnum 215gr LSWC. I have to look for a new vendor for .41 bullets my usual source dropped their .41. I'm thinking Missouri Bullet. Their pricing looks good and I've never used them. I'm working on prepping .38 special cases. I have a bunch of bullets inbound. I need to get back and try 9mm again. I have a new bullet (for me) coming for them too.

41MAGNUM.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've got a box with about 2800 or so 9mm I need to process. I've also got about 2k 223 to process. Plus another bucket of range brass to sort and process which will add quite a bit to both of those. I went to the garage to get started a few nights ago but the bench is a mess and everything is scattered. I need to go out and clean so I can get to loading.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    What did you do today reloading wise?

Me?
    Rolled, glued, filled, and hot lube dipped 47 paper cartridges for a .54 Sharps.
    View attachment 121123
    Pulled bullets and dumped powder out of old 243 and 270 reloaded brass. Cleaned the brass and the bullets, reloaded the 243 bullets with Reloder 22 powder and replaced the bullets.

Looked at an heirloom John Burkingham SxS 12 gauge hammerless shotgun (damascus barrels). It feed many of my father's grandfather's family. One firing pin is broken and breech is loose when closed. Otherwise it is in pretty good shape. Will take some gunsmithing to fix it. But I'm going to give it a try.

So many projects, don't get enough done.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That load is over maximum a tad by today's data, but 40 years ago it wasn't.
    Funny how that is. I have some 50-60 year old boxes of .38 HBWC target loads from Western. I'll get around to chronographing them before they're all used up but it only takes one shot to know they are loaded way hotter than current factory ammo. When shooting steel plates at 75 yards, the difference in delay between the boom and the clank is obvious.

It's also in the top two most accurate factory WC loads I've ever shot. The other is Blazer aluminum but I haven't seen any Blazer aluminum .38 target loads in a long, long time.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Funny how that is. I have some 50-60 year old boxes of .38 HBWC target loads from Western. I'll get around to chronographing them before they're all used up but it only takes one shot to know they are loaded way hotter than current factory ammo. When shooting steel plates at 75 yards, the difference in delay between the boom and the clank is obvious.

It's also in the top two most accurate factory WC loads I've ever shot. The other is Blazer aluminum but I haven't seen any Blazer aluminum .38 target loads in a long, long time.
    I think .38 load data has been dumbed-down over the years. No doubt due to the number of 100+ year old guns out there. Current Hodgdon data for standard pressure cast 158 gr LSWC .38 loads says 3.7gr of W231 is the max. The Lyman III edition of 1980 says the max is a whole grain more, at 4.7 for the 358156. That's a big difference. Super light loads never worked for me with cast bullets. I sometimes load a 148gr cast WC with the same load. It's a service-power WC.

Curiously, in .38 +P, they list the max at 4.7gr for HP-38 (same powder as W231) and with a jacketed 158gr bullet yet. I have been of the opinion for a decade or more that today's +P is yesterday's standard service load.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    >Curiously, in .38 +P, they list the max at 4.7gr for HP-38 (same powder as W231) and with a jacketed 158gr bullet yet. I have been of the opinion for a decade or more that today's +P is yesterday's standard service load.
    Just think of it as kinder, gentler ammo...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

TXTad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    Flower Mound, TX

I am looking forward to the chronograph data report.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom