Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Yesterday, I loaded up 50 of the new light .38 bullets... I had PC'd them the day before. It's going to be close to a mouse-fart load, I think... probably in the 700 fps range. I hope to get to the range this afternoon to try them out.

PC orange 38 107gr.jpg

PC orange 38 107gr load.jpg
    DK Firearms

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    What I did in the world of reloading, was grab the wrong brass and start decapping. I thought I had Nosler 6.5 creedmoor brass, but I had Lapua 6mm creedmoor brass with small flash holes. The first one I did, I thought it was just a primer that was a little snug. When the 2nd piece was the same, I caught my snap. So I only ruined 2 pieces luckily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    What I did in the world of reloading, was grab the wrong brass and start decapping. I thought I had Nosler 6.5 creedmoor brass, but I had Lapua 6mm creedmoor brass with small flash holes. The first one I did, I thought it was just a primer that was a little snug. When the 2nd piece was the same, I caught my snap. So I only ruined 2 pieces luckily!

It’ll fire out better than you think……. I’ve seen similar and have some post match cleanup 6.5x47L that I got for free and it still shoots single digit sd’s.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It’ll fire out better than you think……. I’ve seen similar and have some post match cleanup 6.5x47L that I got for free and it still shoots single digit sd’s.

I’m gonna mark the 2 cases, to keep track of them, then make sure I uniform the primer pockets real well. I can’t imagine it will be a huge issue, but with hand loads, I always try to err on the side of caution.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I’m gonna mark the 2 cases, to keep track of them, then make sure I uniform the primer pockets real well. I can’t imagine it will be a huge issue, but with hand loads, I always try to err on the side of caution.

I did similar minus the uniforming. I loaded up correctly decapped brass and non that had the flash hole punched and bent out. The sd stayed in the 5-8 range so I just ran along as per normal.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I slugged the barrel on my Taurus snubbie.... I had quite a bit of leading after my last session, so I'm looking for causes.
    I was shooting some commercially cast bevel based wadcutters. I'm convinced they were cast out of an alloy that was probably too hard for this load, and they had the almost useless hard wax lube in the groove. Bad combination, in my experience.

I found out the chamber mouths are all right at .358.... at least a pc'd bullet sized to .3575 would just barely slip through them.
    The bore mic'd at .3575 to .358.... so, I should be good with any bullet over .358 or so.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Was planning on possibly shooting a PRS match next weekend, so I started loading up some 140 grain HPBT in 6.5 creedmoor. Ran out of one jug of powder and realized what I had left was a different lot #. Went ahead and loaded up 10 with the same charge and seating depth. No change in speed, point of impact, or group size. I’m not gonna shoot the match, but getting prepared for it made me realize how much time and money it takes to shoot competitively.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Was planning on possibly shooting a PRS match next weekend, so I started loading up some 140 grain HPBT in 6.5 creedmoor. Ran out of one jug of powder and realized what I had left was a different lot #. Went ahead and loaded up 10 with the same charge and seating depth. No change in speed, point of impact, or group size. I’m not gonna shoot the match, but getting prepared for it made me realize how much time and money it takes to shoot competitively.

I'm not shooting competitive but was tailoring a load for long range. Ran out of powder and havent seen any for 2 years. Just recently I picked up a few pounds of a new powder which means working up more loads again. It never ends.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It never ends.

Truer words were never spoken! A friend was asking about getting into reloading, and how much money it saved me. Laughed my butt off!!! Between the components, and all the equipment I’ve bought (and continue to buy) it’s an expensive, and time consuming hobby!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Truer words were never spoken! A friend was asking about getting into reloading, and how much money it saved me. Laughed my butt off!!! Between the components, and all the equipment I’ve bought (and continue to buy) it’s an expensive, and time consuming hobby!

Can't say I've saved money. Sure I load rounds for cheaper than I can buy them but I load so much and shoot so much more that it's probably a wash at best.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Can't say I've saved money. Sure I load rounds for cheaper than I can buy them but I load so much and shoot so much more that it's probably a wash at best.

That’s my response to everyone that questions the savings. Cost is the same overall but the amount of noise made is substantially higher.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Years ago I started reloading because I shot a lot...now I reload because I shoot ammo that hasn't been made in many decades...or is so ridiculously priced, I would be embarrassed to let anyone know I paid that much just to shoot...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Hogflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2023
    Central Texas
    I went out behind the barn here, and unloaded 3 mags of .45acp loads! Got a new Kimber Carry on
    monday, nice day to burn some powder! nice loads! all cycled fine, shooting more this weekend.
    Some old custom 230 JHP almost P+ loads.....

hogflyer.......

Top Bottom