Guns International

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Kinda/sorta but not really. The PC is 11 years old. The software is just a database system (Reloading Studio) made by a pro shooter in Australia.

For me, I run fang-dangled stuff (electronic powder drop & scale, etc.) when I'm trying to do things accurate in bulk (say 20-100 308 rounds). I do like electronic scales, though. Conversely I sometimes just go with a Lee classic loader with a beam scale for some 45/70 'just because'. I have the RCBS rockchucker but I also have a Dillon 650. Just depends on what I'm into so I do all kinds of stuff.

I love my electronic powder drop, but I still find myself dumping every load on the beam scale before putting it in the case when I’m loading stuff for precision. For .50 I like the fact that it’s working on the next drop while I’m double checking the last, charging the case, and seating the bullet.

I’ve never learned to just trust it though. So every charge goes across the beam before going in a case. And I always check my beam using a calibrated mass set. It’s really way to much effort considering how limited my case prep is. But I can’t help myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Reduces splits. I do it too.

I did a 3-year test in 2013 on a batch of small primer .45 ACP. I hate these little guys, and I set them as my control brass (no annealing and mainly Federal and Blazer) only lasted on average 9 reloads before failures started emerging. Of course, not all failed, and some manufactures did better than others, but the average was 9 standard reloads before splitting, and bulging started becoming an issue.

I still have .45 ACP brass (that I lightly anneal every session) and they are still going since before 2008. Honestly, I lost count on these but I know for sure some of these are at 15+ reloads (going on 20) using standard Bullseye 230 gr. loads. My biggest failure on these is the base becoming oversized and won't fit in the shell holder, or if they get lost in the sand. I lose about 1 every 100 cases or so nowadays from this batch due to brass failure and at least 5 to the desert sand on a range trip.

That's pretty dang cool!! It also aptly illustrates how ossified and 'conventional' my thinking is, sometimes. Although I know/knew that annealing greatly extends brass life, I'd bought into much of the conventional wisdom saying it wasn't necessary in straight walled brass- THANKS!

I really have to get on building another induction annealer. I sold my Anneal-eeze because it felt too inaccurate for me (6.5 cases wouldn't reliably spin for me), and the fact that induciton seems so much more efficient.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    UPS showed up late last night with my order from Lehigh. Mostly 650gr match Solids, but ordered a box of 750gr Controlled Chaos to try out on hogs and squirrels.

0b4cdf0bc7d38db2ea8f4bbd34ce2e40.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yesterday I resized, trimmed, and chamfered my BMG brass. Giving it a short run in the tumbler now with a little dawn to clean off the motor oil.

Hopefully I’ll have time to put some test loads together tomorrow evening.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Wow much for new, preprimed brass. Thanks for these Remington, made my day.

20210120_134631.jpg

Looks like post-priming inspect is not a thing for them. Found these winners a while back... makes a 223 in BLK look tame. They were 243s at one time...

20210112_165539.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    So after reading in this thread about small primer 10mm brass, I went out and checked the ammo locker. Sure enough, my Federal 10mm rounds are small primer.

1611203614434.jpeg

Then I went through all my cleaned 10mm brass and culled out 45 pieces with small primer pockets. I guess I lost 5 at the range. That’s what happens when the brass flies 50 yards.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    TAC for 223? I think I got a couple of pounds when I bought 30-40 pounds of aa2230 10-12 years ago.

I recapped & sized about 500 cases out of my 2000 case order.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Listed in the loading manual as well as Ramshots web site and pdf loading data. Not to mention it was available right now just go get it.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Cleaned, annealed, sized, trimmed and primed about 100 6ppc and 50 308’s. Went and bought a couple pounds of LT30, H4198, and CFEPistol. Now to start loading up.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Bought an NOE mold from a guy over on castboolits. Negotiating another mold still with another guy.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom