• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    How well does your seating stem match the profile of your bullet?
    Only time my coal shifted dramatically, I had a RN seating stem and using conical lead cast bullets.
    The shavings of lead wound up building up in the cavity of the seating stem.
    My coal shrunk.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Well I switched to a different caliper yesterday and checked a few. This one only goes to X.XXxx. most of my rounds were still between 1.1240 and 1.1265. Couple were ± another .0010. This was just measuring my rounds I already had made up a few days ago. Looks like the caliper was the culprit. Funny how the 20$ home depot caliper works better than the 120$ fancy one does...

I did also che k some of the bullets. I grabbed 10 off the top and measured length and they measured as follows

.5420 x2
    .5430 x3
    .5435 x2

Not bad and definitely able to rule them out. Will probably start up again tonight and will report back on coal issues

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also, Vaq, the bullets are conical, didn't look into the seating plug other than to make sure there wasn't some crap built up in them. Will look at it tonght

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I prefer an analog caliper to digital.

Same with scales. Get close on a digital and double check on a 5-0-5.

Sent from my HAL 9000

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I got a little cheapo mtm brand scale at academy for lime 25$. It works. I have found when I load pistols I will drop 10 times and then average it to figure out how much its dropping. It seems to be much more accurate this was. As for digital, in my younger days when I knew everything I knew that digital was better because it was easier to read. Home depot had both and I chose the digital. If I could do it over I would have chosen the dial ones. There has been more than a few times I've tried to use the damn things and the battery was dead.

Mastiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    I jumped out and purchased the 6" Mititoyo caliper. I think this is a critically important tool on the bench, so I wanted this or either a Starrett. Analog vs. Digital: I like the digital because I can't see up close very well anymore, so the digital works best for me. Also I handle my caliper carefully and treat it carefully. Some folks like the analog units, nothing wrong with them either. It's a personal preference.

Top Bottom