Hurley's Gold

What cartridge made you take the plunge into reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I remember those days when the Sears & Roebuck catalog had tons of old military rifles listed for $50 dollars or so. Wow. Those were the good old days. I was too young to buy but old enough to dream!
    Hurley's Gold

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I remember those days when the Sears & Roebuck catalog had tons of old military rifles listed for $50 dollars or so. Wow. Those were the good old days. I was too young to buy but old enough to dream!
    I remember seeing m1 garrands on sale at Gander mountain for $150 each about 15 years ago. They also had m1 carbines for $250. Those rifles sat on the used racks for months! I sure wish Id have had the $$ (poor college student) to purchase the whole lot of them back then! You could probably buy a really nice truck with what you could sell them for now!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Fishhog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    East of Dallas
    I started reloading .38's and 30/30's in 1965. The urge hit me to get started, and I bought a couple Lee sets along with some primers and a couple pounds of powders. I would set in front of the tv at night and really irritate the wife as I hammered away on that stuff with a board across my lap. Things have progressed a lot since that time, but the old Lee stuff did it's job!

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    What cartridge made you take the plunge into reloading?

ALL OF THEM!

The "gateway calibers" for ME were. 38 Spl. & .45 ACP, mainly for cost savings. But I have die sets for every center-fire caliber I shoot, and a few die sets for guns which I no longer own. I AM of that camp of shooters who reloads so I can shoot, and not the camp who shoot so they can reload, but I find both activities generally prleasant diversions. At the risk of giving the anti-gunners fodder for the demonization of avid shooters, I must state, forthrightly and without embarrassment, that I find BOTH activities profoundly relaxing.

A life-long friend likened it to his days of plastic model (airplane, tanks, dioramas) construction, except that MY finished product need not be hung from a ceiling nor placed in a glass case for enjoyment.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember seeing M-1 Carbines for sale at the downtown Houston Woolworth's store.
    For $179.00!
    Damn, Moonpie, you must be old!
    Then I must be old, too, because I remember the same thing. I most poignantly remember when they went out of business and the last of those guns were tossed in a barrel and sold for half-price. I'm told they had to put a rope around the area and assign an employee to stand over the barrel and allow just one customer at a time to inspect the contents and make their selection. I don't know this for sure; the guy who told me about it waited until lunch and by the time I got there all the rifles were gone.

Top Bottom