APOD Firearms

What can be done to counter the so-called mass shooting epidemic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    That's a very skewed view. After 25 years in public education in Texas, I can assure you bullying IS addressed and self-defense was ALWAYS taken into consideration, even encouraged by those with whom I worked.

More of an issue is that white male students are disenfranchised, belittled, and told they are the source of all problems.

Depends on the school.

My son got in trouble for defending himself against two bullies a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Depends on the school.

My son got in trouble for defending himself against two bullies a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would agree and that is sad. My district was very conservative and one of the last to abandon corporal punishment and still begins board meetings with a prayer.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I don’t think that’s the norm. It is admirable to fight the good fight, but I think the institution is failing to promote good character in a way that’s healthy.

The “pro-social” character teachings I see pushed on kids are actually pretty smarmy and some don’t stick, though they are pounded in with a hammer. I taught my kids exclusively and they can speak up for themselves and don’t worry too much that their voice might piss off someone. They say what they think and aren’t at all concerned about being pc.

They can stifle just enough to get by when they need to. They aren’t forced to stifle all day.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It’s not self defense to pop a bully in the mouth when he’s humiliated you one too many times. That’s retaliation, and thus discouraged. ...
    Wow. That statement made me wonder what ENCOURAGEMENT one would give in such a situation?
    "Just learn to take it"?
    "You probably won't be seriously injured"?
    I would humbly suggest to you that self-defense IS retaliation in most situations. Odd to discourage it on a site like this.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Wow. That statement made me wonder what ENCOURAGEMENT one would give in such a situation?
    "Just learn to take it"?
    "You probably won't be seriously injured"?
    I would humbly suggest to you that self-defense IS retaliation in most situations. Odd to discourage it on a site like this.

I’m not the one discouraging it. I’m saying that that is what is done.

It absolutely is seen as retaliation if someone speaks words that emotionally hurt you and you harm them physically in return with something like a punch. These days, you will be ticketed by the school police officer. It’s a $500 fine that most families won’t be happy to see.

One kid I treated in therapy had finger thumped on the head an annoying classmate and was referred to the juvenile justice system for that.

That kid DID have serious mental problems (and I do mean that in the most upfront way, she tried to jump off the courthouse roof one time after sentencing with regard to some minor infraction) so maybe it’s good that she did end up being treated ... but at what a cost in time, incarceration, hassle and later residential treatment. But it was the finger thump that got the law started on all that with her.

Many kids it doesn’t go that way. They get into trouble for something tiny and it’s a years worth of lost time and money and an incredible hassle for no net gain. Often times they leave treatment saying, “I’ll just keep my mouth shut from now on” or “I’ll.never joke like that again.” I don’t know that that is the best thing, going underground with all this teenage angst and rebellious personality.

It’s kind of like CPS, a lot of the time they get it backwards to where the tiny incidents get amplified and the big ones get overlooked.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Haven't read all the posts.

How can this be improved?

1. Two loving parents raise their own kids. The father and mother each bring unique influences to the family. Both are needed. And parents need to raise their own kids, rather than abdicate that responsibility to strangers (e.g., daycare).
    2. Our country returns to the moral and ethical Judeo Christian values upon which this country was founded. People need a moral compass.
    3. Discipline returns to homes and schools.
    These three things are what have greatly diminished over the past sixty or so years. And we see the detrimental effects today.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You can blame the schools and certainly they are part of the problem. Schools weren't exactly the best places to learn life's lessons when I was in school. As Geezer said, it's parenting, or the lack of, that is the major problem. There are children that go to public schools and higher learning that are just fine, but that usually means they are taught morality in the home. If a child's world is only what they hear at school, television and video games, it's no wonder they get screwed up.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    More "gun control"? Wrong answer!

Start spanking children again to correct them to make them grow up to be good? That might help a lot.

Nationwide Constitution Carry? Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Removing all the "no-gun" zones? Gunmen and armed kooks don't seem to pay the signs any mind.

I would love to hear suggestions from my fellow Americans.
    get rid of the no gun zones

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The biggest problem I see is that with the rhetoric out of Hollywood, media and politicians, mainly on the left but not limited to, that people are being disenfranchised. Now for most of us our morals keep us from lashing out in a destructive way. That's why I don't think we will see an end to things like what happened in El Paso and Dayton. These evil acts weren't perpetrated on a spur of the moment, they were wounds that had festered. As long as we have a country divided, there will be those that are prepped into thinking they are committing evil in the name of righteousness. Many of these people will not be rooted out through laws unless they let there festering ideas be known.

The answer? Unknown, because until we stop the root causes of these nurtured killers, laws only affect the law abiding.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Most baby-boomer gen. Americans as myself never HEARD about them then. Out of sight, out of earshot, out of mind.

I think that is a BIG component, in many ways:

Just like a lot of 'alternate lifestyles,' when people never heard of them, they were never an option.

When we grew up not being exposed to Jeffry Dahmer, Charles Manson, or the Columbine shooters, very very few people self-directed themselves in those behaviors....

Now that EVERYTHING is advertised, explained, 'educated' about, and the self-determination movement has descended to letting 5 year olds 'choose' their gender... well, we have what I think are pretty predictable results.

Yes, there were obviously some crazy people who lived equally crazy, degenerate lives, but with the internet and media/news geared towards sensationalism, is it any wonder that our kids are enculturated in ever increasing, ever crazier behaviors and lifestyles?

My only answer to all of this is #1 to talk to as many people as possible: Encountering calm people will maybe rub off a little bit on the crazies. Especially make your children, and if possible, nephews/nieces/grandkids have REAL conversations- cell phones turned OFF and put away for undefined periods of time so that they learn to engage the real world, and are not dependent on electronic and peer affirmation 24/7.

And #2 Go armed, prepared as well as possible, as often as possible.

I don't remember the #s, but a HUGE % of mass shooters either commit suicide or flee at the first sign of armed response, or VERY quickly thereafter.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Normalize firearm ownership by adding gun safety and handling to common core

Deport all the illegals. End war on white people

Eliminate property tax and income tax. Institute Federal sales tax (5% max)

Amend Constitution to include term limits for all politicians, and clarify 2nd amendment to avoid infringement

End war on drugs. Make death penalty mandatory penalty for all murders. Penalty must be imposed within 5 years

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    If there was an answer it would have been done decades ago. We all know theres only 2 options. Support the 2nd & use common sense of the laws already in place. Which I think is part of the problem. There are already so many laws covering issues no politician thinks to see what is on the books, but to pass more laws. The other option is give a little more of your 2nd & soon it will be stripped away.

Top Bottom