• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    LOL!
    If it doesn’t have a gripzone I won’t own it.

I'm so glad mine doesn't have "Grip Zone" embossed on it! That was a silly marketing decision, IMO.

20210916_181440.jpg

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Well, I am glad that has finally been settled..... :)
    View attachment 283132

I found a pic while looking for Gucci plastic to poke a little fun with Moonpie with - of an XDM with the type of grip safety I mentioned would make the deactivation more positive. This does not appear to be a standard option. I haven't dug much yet but it does appear to be a custom piece. It has just enough extra material with the memory bump that it would probably work better with a compromised or in-line grip.
    All six guns - its due to the grip shape and shape of the grip safety. I found that if I gripped the pistol in the manner that Jeff Cooper and many others advocated for - that is keeping the slide / muzzle in line with the forearm, what happened is that the gun would sit in the deepest part of the web of my hand and there was not enough pressure to positively deactivate the grip safety every time.

If I shifted my grip a bit, moving the grip safety more toward my trigger finger there was more pressure on the grip safety.

That's why I think a redesign, or at least someone making an aftermarket part with the bump so common to many of the 1911 grip safeties available would solve that particular issue. It was enough of an issue that I could see having a compromised grip in an actual life & death situation could lead to the gun not being able to fire, so I gave up on the XD for serious use.

I still think its one hell of a range gun - very accurate, very comfortable and fun to shoot. I'd be very tempted to pin the grip safety if I were planning to rely on one for personal defense. Honestly I'd rather delete the grip safety and move to a thumb safety, or switch the grip safety design to the one found on some smith & wesson pistols (including their EZ line)
    That "memory bump" piece should be factory installed.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    That "memory bump" piece should be factory installed.

Agreed, I'm not sure why its not at this point.

Perhaps the next iteration will come with it? Seems that they'll either delete the grip safety (like HS did with the Hellcat / Hellcat Pro) or they need to do a bump, maybe grippier Grip Zone (there should be a guitar riff that plays everytime Grip Zone is mentioned) and some other tweaks for the next gen XD.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I had an XD45 about 10 years ago. You've all heard about the one you wish you still had, well this gun was one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. When I sold it to a buddy, that offered me way too much for it after shooting it, I almost did not do the sale. It had about 5,000 rounds through it at that point, and since then he has put that many and more since buying it from me. Neither of us has experienced any problems with that gun. I now have an XDm 4.5 in 10mm that looks to be the same in quality and accuracy. I really would like to have this gun that is optics ready, and mine is not. I have a co-worker that was with me at the range the last time I was out shooting it and he wants it badly. I might sell it to him and look for the OSP Model.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had an XD45 about 10 years ago. You've all heard about the one you wish you still had, well this gun was one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. When I sold it to a buddy, that offered me way too much for it after shooting it, I almost did not do the sale. It had about 5,000 rounds through it at that point, and since then he has put that many and more since buying it from me. Neither of us has experienced any problems with that gun. I now have an XDm 4.5 in 10mm that looks to be the same in quality and accuracy. I really would like to have this gun that is optics ready, and mine is not. I have a co-worker that was with me at the range the last time I was out shooting it and he wants it badly. I might sell it to him and look for the OSP Model.
    It was my luck that I got the XDM 10mm right before they announced the OSP. I would have waited. I like that gun too much to give it up now though.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I got a XD in .45 about 2011/12. It was accurate, high capacity, and felt great in my hand. I was using it when I lost a wager with my brother for dinner at Perini's but only because I had not been to the range for six months whereas he had been at the range weekly for some time.

I sold mine .45 when I bought one in .40 - big mistake. Now I have a XD .45 Tactical (with the full kit) and the world is little bit better. I just need to find a HS-2000 cap now.

Last edited:

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have over 10k rounds thru my xdm 5.25 pistol. Id say half the ammo was mouse fart loads. The only issue I had was the extractor needed to be replaced. The other xdms probably have around 2-3k rnds

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom