• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've took my SA XD40sc and Glock 27 to the range together several times. Shooting them side by side, both were reliable and accurate. They were equal in my opinion and I am comfortable carrying either of them. I have several XD pistols, only one glock.
    Gun Zone Deals

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I just never liked the feel of them. I bought an XDM compact one, and I just never grew to like it. My mom liked it so I told her to take it home with her. That was a few years back and she still carries it.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Plastic frames are an issue for me so its only aluminum alloy or steel frames for me.
    Umh, that’s unfortunate, full size XDs grip and point so naturally. In this particular arena I’d like a steel for the weight and balance. No real advantage with aluminum there.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    You can LOL all you want when they came in as the HS2000 they were 150 dollars cheaper and they are same pistol minus the roll mark on the top of the slide. Springfield "Armory" is not the old US Government Armory, has never been an Armory and never will be an Armory. They are a shit company that buys or licenses other companies designs and resells them at a mark up. They then bribe politicians in their home state to stomp out competition. Feel free to spend your money how you want but LOL doesn't change what Springfield does.

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    Actually, I said LOL in agreement with you. While we're at it, let's not forget the ten round Ruger fiasco and the S&W clinton lock catastrophe.
    You can LOL all you want when they came in as the HS2000 they were 150 dollars cheaper and they are same pistol minus the roll mark on the top of the slide. Springfield "Armory" is not the old US Government Armory, has never been an Armory and never will be an Armory. They are a shit company that buys or licenses other companies designs and resells them at a mark up. They then bribe politicians in their home state to stomp out competition. Feel free to spend your money how you want but LOL doesn't change what Springfield does.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Haters... plain and simple. The tacti-cool crowd is all hung up on Glocks. The Glock is made in Austria, arguably a more "mechanically-inclined" and not so arguably a richer country, whereas the XDs are made in Croatia, a country that most Americans think is third-world. The XD uses the much maligned grip safeties that people who have no idea how to properly hold a handgun constantly complain about. The XD hasn't been around as long as the Glock.... yadda yadda...

I was a fairly early adopter of the XD, buying the XD-45C as soon as it was released. I've had it for 7-8 years now and have put so many rounds through it that I can't even begin to remember. I shot it a lot more back when you could buy a box of 50 new JHP .45 ACP for $13 (Quik-Shoks, still have a ton of them, they're great). I'm pretty bad about cleaning my guns, usually doing a monthly checkup instead of a direct-from-the-range scrubbing. I've never experienced a single feed or ejection failure, never had a part break on me, never had a light primer strike... It just goes bang when I pull the trigger... and quite accurately at that. When I do break my weapons down for inspection, I go over them with a fine-toothed comb - I have not noticed any unusual wear or failing parts. I believe it to be one of the finest striker-fired polymer frame handguns in the world.
    I wouldn't worry about the Glock-Fanboy detractors. They don't want to admit that a gun that fills the same niche and costs about the same as their beloved kaboom-machines could possibly be better. I've shot quite a few brand new, out of the box Glocks side by side with their XD counterparts, and none of them feel right or are as accurate. Besides the grip angle that everyone goes on about, the weight distribution just seems better. Glocks have always seemed too barrel heavy to me and their grips feel flimsy.

Just my two cents...

Edited for excluded word.
    The receiver is made there, not the whole gun as far as I have been informed by Springfield Armory.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I read the first 8 pages, and the last two.

The XD gets a probably unfair amount of hate *mostly* because of hearsay from YouTube personalities and instructors that may or may not be biases toward Glocks.

Some of the early failures that reportedly were common were broken strikers - the cocking indicator part (the back that sticks out when the gun is cocked) was said to snap off easily. The striker retaining pin was supposed to be weak. Supposedly the gun choked a lot (that could be chalked up to improper lubrication more than a poor design, I think)

Me personally - I've owned 4 of the 4 inch service model 9mm, one of the original 5 inch "tactical" pistols, and one subcompact 9mm - all gen 1 XD's. I have not owned an XDM or XDS, or the XDE. My first ever pistol purchase on my 21st birthday was an XD9 "service" model 4 inch.

I found them all to be reliable pistols that shot well, had good ergonomics, and I never had any issues with any of the six that I owned. I will say I'm not acompetition shooter, so I never put tens of thousands of rounds thru my guns. They probably got 500 to 1000 rounds a year, and most got traded or sold off while I was on my quest for the "perfect" carry gun. I can't think of any stoppages that I had with any of my XD's that weren't shooter or ammo related.

The biggest issue for me, and the reason I don't own or carry them anymore was the grip safety. Depending on how you hold a pistol, I found that sometimes the grip safety wasn't deactivating like it should. That lead me to dropping them as a serious use pistol, because under stress even with lots of practice your grip may not be perfect. Likewise, I didn't like that the grip safety would lock the slide up on the XD - a compromised grip not only means you cannot fire the gun if you need to, but you cannot operate the slide to reload or clear a malfunction if necessary. An aftermarket grip safety with a "memory bump" like you can get for a 1911 may negate that issue, but I've never seen one. I'd rather have a frame mounted thumb safety over the grip safety. Or re-design the grip safety to be longer so that it makes more contact with your hand and thus more likely to disengage.

The other issues, at least when the guns were newer - were lack of parts and accessories. Holsters & sights were hard to come by. I used to use Glock 21 holsters for my 9mm XD's, since the XD's are a tad chunky.

I won't knock anyone for shooting or carrying an XD if it works for them. They are good pistols, and honestly the XD9 sub compact is a better shooter for me than the Glock 26. The XD, like the M&P, has far superior ergonomics than the Glock.

I also prefer the metal magazines, the magazine release, and the take down operation of the XD over Glocks. If we're talking range-only guns, I'd rather have an XD over a Glock any day. For serious use - personal defense or a duty weapon, I'd take the Glock every time over an XD just because of the grip safety issues mentioned above. Thankfully there are about 100 other polymer striker fired pistols out there to chose from that share many of the XD's benefits - ergonomics, metal magazines, etc over Glocks and for me, I found the M&P to be well suited for the PDW task.

I will say the XD was also more attractive when it was the new kid on the block, and was a $400 gun vs the $500-600 I've seen them going for now. I missed the HS2000 days - none of my local gunshops had an HS pistol on the shelves until well after Springfield bought the rights. I think I saw my first HS2000 in the flesh sometime around 2010 or 2011.

Top Bottom