Capitol Armory ad

What are seed oils and why they shouldn't be in your diet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    I used peanut oil for frying fish because I like the way the fish tastes. I don't like other oils. I fry a turkey once a year in peanut oil. #1 wife uses olive oil for cooking but I think she uses corn oil for baking... That happens a lot less often than I'd like...

I probably eat too much sugar but it's in fruit. We try to eat foods that look like what they are. Very little comes out of a box or can. Water is the beverage of choice although I will drink a few gatorades on extremely hot sweat days...

I do have a weakness for cinnamon graham crackers.

Oh, and butter. I get the Land O Lakes because I like(d) the Indian gal on the box!

Mostly, I eat what I like and don't eat what I don't like. Fortunately I happen to like foods that are good for me... Just lucky I guess...

Alan
    Target Sports

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Canola (there is no such thing as a Canola plant) this oil comes from the rapeseed plant
    Don't think I've seen anyone mention it so I'll interject.

Rapeseed oil used to be available and was used as a cooking oil quite a bit in Europe and elsewhere in many places around the globe. In North America, though, almost nobody bought something with "rape" in the name. In Canada, where much rapeseed is grown, a government department named Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada fiddled with some cross-breeding and produced a different version of rapeseed. The Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers' Association gave it a new name, canola, and trademarked the name. The Rapeseed Association of Canada became the Canola Council of Canada and all the aforesaid organizations promoted the hell out of it. By the late 1980s, the marketing of the new name was in full swing and finding much success.

So Canola oil is as much a product of marketing as it is of horticulture, farming and processing.

Nowadays, it's easy to find web sites that refer to canola as "the world’s healthiest cooking oil."

I always found that fascinating.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Triglycerides Funny, they are the transporter of fats and sugar in the body. Look up how your A1C is actually measured.
    If eggs & canola are bad (seed oil) how did our ancestors who had little meat survive on grain? How do birds survive? Look up the hydrogenation process before you speak.
    Remember the old story about colas that turned to ethylene glycol in you body and would kill you? She studied dietetics in school, worked as such for a while, I don't get a lot of bacon but ice cream is great.
    Years ago I dated a gal who did rat testing (cancer), amount of 'stuff' given would drown them - or rupture the throat if she wasn't careful.
    And the new wu flu vaccine was tested on 12 mice!! Before being 'approved'.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Don't think I've seen anyone mention it so I'll interject.

Rapeseed oil used to be available and was used as a cooking oil quite a bit in Europe and elsewhere in many places around the globe. In North America, though, almost nobody bought something with "rape" in the name. In Canada, where much rapeseed is grown, a government department named Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada fiddled with some cross-breeding and produced a different version of rapeseed. The Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers' Association gave it a new name, canola, and trademarked the name. The Rapeseed Association of Canada became the Canola Council of Canada and all the aforesaid organizations promoted the hell out of it. By the late 1980s, the marketing of the new name was in full swing and finding much success.

So Canola oil is as much a product of marketing as it is of horticulture, farming and processing.

Nowadays, it's easy to find web sites that refer to canola as "the world’s healthiest cooking oil."

I always found that fascinating.
    All good info Ben

the Rapeseed plant is a relative of the mustard plant
    The process it goes thru to get the oil out of the plant is nasty. Involving alot of high heat, pressure and chemicals

The finished product, called Canola oil already has high levels of oxidation while its on the store shelf
    It only gets worse when you heat it up again to cook with it
    And consuming products that are oxidative is not good for any living animal.

This promotes free radicals which cause cancer..and effects the cell's very mitochondria. Causes increased omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, which promotes chronic inflammation and opens you up to a whole other host of illnesses

Not good..and should be limited if not avoided altogether

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thank all of you for keeping this conversation going
    The sharing of good information Iike this can help folks start making better choices and in some cases turning their health around

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the heads up on seed oils, I didn't know that about them. I've been mainly using olive oil for awhile, with some veg oil occasionally. Where does that fit in? Still bad?

On the soda, yeah that stuff is horrible, and addictive. I've been trying to kick it completely for awhile now. I don't drink it quite like I used to, but still far too much. I think I'll try harder.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I was discussing nutrition with my mom and sister in law this week and SIL shared this podcast episode

https://www.honestlypod.com/podcast/episode/d0186220/eating-ourselves-to-death

They mention the seed oils in it. Gotta say this will be hard for me.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
    But now you know the real truth and you can act on it and make better choices
    Here is something handy you might find useful
    Screenshot_20220926-072134_Instagram.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've still got the grease can my grandmother used. It used to sit on the back of the stove and all the bacon drippings went into it.

Healthier cooking and nostalgia, both at the same time. I can get behind that. :)

Top Bottom