• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I like this idea. I also like the whole ending daylight savings time idea they are kicking around too. Hopefully this turns out to be a good year once it's all said and done.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think it's unlikely that the front plates will go away anytime soon. While they don't cost much to produce, they do bring in huge amounts of revenue through tolls and violations. Law enforcement agencies prefer them as well, electronic readers help identify stolen vehicles. Plus, a big advantage to having both plates is that witnesses and victims have a better chance of seeing the license plate of suspicious vehicles involved in crimes regardless of which way they're driving.

The only argument against them is largely aesthetics. Not really much of a reason. Only 19 states don't have them, and pretty much every other country in the world requires them. In fact, I was stopped by French police in 2002 because I didn't have one. My car was registered in Florida at the time which only requires a rear tag. Oddly enough, I was pulled over in Belgium not long after that for the Florida tag on my motorcycle, being it was so much smaller than European plates!

I'm rooting for dissolving the vehicle inspection system. It does nothing to remove dangerous vehicles off our roads, and is a useless burden for owners. Law enforcement agencies need to spend more time pulling over vehicles suspected of not being in compliance with the Transportation Code instead of relying on these ridiculous inspections to catch the infractions!

Cheers! M2

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Max is right
    Toll road companies lobby to keep front plates
    It's about being able to photo your front and back plates and charge you

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Toll roads and revenue have nothing to do with the purpose of front plates. Texas had front plates LONG before LP readers. Interestingly, I think toll road cameras read the rear plates.

Violations? Violations of what? In all but the smallest and poorest of towns traffic enforcement loses money.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Toll roads and revenue have nothing to do with the purpose of front plates. Texas had front plates LONG before LP readers. Interestingly, I think toll road cameras read the rear plates.

Didn't say that was the original reason for the front tags, but one of the reasons to keep them.

Obviously the original logic behind them was to be able to identify a vehicle from the front. Not exactly rocket science.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    This comes up all the time, I don't see them going anywhere. As far as being pulled over for no front plate, in all the years I had my sports cars, never had an issue. If anything, seems like something to tack onto a ticket if you get pulled over to begin with. Small towns might do something about it, but Salado doesn't care I can tell you that much. The front plate needs to go though, I agree.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I think it's unlikely that the front plates will go away anytime soon. While they don't cost much to produce, they do bring in huge amounts of revenue through tolls and violations. . . .
    As long as Uncle Sam gets his shit it's all right, right?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

Violations? Violations of what? In all but the smallest and poorest of towns traffic enforcement loses money.

Sorry TI, but you not correct about this
    I've read alot about this in the past and here is a fully funded research paper from A&M Transportation Institute that backs up my previous statement

It is about money, fines, revenue generation and control

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...9ZGDavGZB0kvUOcjg&sig2=oX_YwNkXf7YDvFIY9OSVaA

if the link don't work just google

Front License Plate Market Research: Comparison of Single Versus Dual License Plates

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As long as Uncle Sam gets his shit it's all right, right?

"Uncle Sam" is the Federal government, this is about the State of Texas.

And it's not about revenue but law enforcement. If you happen to be the victim of a vehicular crime, and you or a witness gets the plate number from the front tag of the offending vehicle, you'll be happy that the requirement exists.

Lastly, give me one good reason besides aesthetics why a front tag shouldn't be required. Like I said, every other country in the world requires them, and all but 19 states (and a Canadian province or two).

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Eventually someone will come up with a way, if they already haven't, where a car won't need a plate at all and will just transmit LP information to passing LE vehicles for violations and maybe to the general public for identification. Then everyone here will be happy except half the drivers in San Antonio I see who believe they are immune to registering and insuring their vehicle. :)

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Well, we hit on one of my faves!!! On our FOURTH day here, DW was pulled over on IH-35 for not having a front tag. The LEO actually spun around a u-turn to chase down our VOLVO! No speeding, nuthin'...just no front tag. I absolutely HATE drilling holes in $45k vehicles to mount a front bracket...came from Georgia where there are no front tags and folks get along just fine! In fact, my old roommate drove over in his car with only one rear tag and the toll folks had NO trouble sending him a bill for the tolls he accrued while driving in Texas.

What really bugs me is the lack of enforcement. I see at least a half-dozen vehicles a day with no front tag and I usually take note of the rear plate...yep, most are from Texas. I even see plenty with front brackets sporting a dealer tag, marque plate or some other non-compliant plate. It's not like they have an Alfa Romeo with no place to attach a bracket easily...dang.

My BIL(sorta) lived here for 23 years and had three vehicles most of that time(more sometimes) and NEVER mounted a front tag for the entire time they lived in Austin!!! NEVER even got stopped...not once!!! DW gets stopped on our FOURTH day here! And the Trooper was a bit indignant when DW explained why I hadn't installed it yet. Grrrrr.....

I was truly disappointed when we arrived in '08 and heard the legislature was considering eliminating the front tag requirement...then, of course, nothing got done.

Serious waste of money, IMO. Of course, what do you expect from a state that has hundreds(thousands?) of signs on the highway stating that there is a "State Law...Obey Traffic Signs". SOMEbody has a cousin in the sign-making business, I gar-ron-tee!!!

Don't get me started!!!

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    I absolutely HATE drilling holes in $45k vehicles to mount a front bracket...

Ever since they started putting plastic bumpers on cars in the late 70s, the manufacturers have generally designed them with a flat spot specifically to take a plate so I don't see what the problem is.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    We only had rear plates in Fla. Never stopped them from letting me know when the battery in my toll tag device was dead. I would get a photo of my rear plate with a letter in the mail letting me know. And I've gotten plenty of tickets with just the rear tag. Front plates along with the vehicle inspections needs to go away. All seem to be more about generating revenue than anything else.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've been pulled over twice specifically for no front tag, but had the 'why don't you have a front plate' inquiry on several traffic stops in the ~18.5 years I've not mounted one. None have resulted in a citation. The most I've ever got from the LEO was "yeah you know you're supposed to have one right?" So while the only "real" reason to not mount one is indeed aesthetic, it doesn't appear the cops are too worried about it affecting their ability to do their job.

EmbarkChief

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Houston
    In my experience the only entity that cares is DPS. They thought it was important enough to U-Turn on 290 in Ellinger at 12:30AM to issue me a citation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Ever since they started putting plastic bumpers on cars in the late 70s, the manufacturers have generally designed them with a flat spot specifically to take a plate so I don't see what the problem is.

No flat spot on either our FIAT or Volvo. The problem is buggering up a $45k vehicle with a fifty cent slab of aluminum that's unnecessary. They eliminated the inspection sticker...big deal. How about the ugly piece of metal stuck on the front of my Pininfarina-designed automobile.??? Dang

More and more cars DON'T have flat fronts(not talking the Texas state bird, the F150) to maximize aerodynamic efficiency, air flow to the engine compartment and just plain style. It ain't the '70s any more!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    No flat spot on either our FIAT or Volvo. The problem is buggering up a $45k vehicle with a fifty cent slab of aluminum that's unnecessary. They eliminated the inspection sticker...big deal. How about the ugly piece of metal stuck on the front of my Pininfarina-designed automobile.??? Dang

More and more cars DON'T have flat fronts(not talking the Texas state bird, the F150) to maximize aerodynamic efficiency, air flow to the engine compartment and just plain style. It ain't the '70s any more!

Extremely odd, since both Fiat and Volvo are European manufacturers and every country on that continent requires a front plate.

But hey, this is Texas and it's readily apparent that the state requires tags on both ends of the vehicle. Not in the glove box, not on the dash behind the windshield, mounted on the front of the vehicle. Feel free to ignore it all you want, but don't whine when an officer cites you for it!

When you register your vehicle you are issued two license plates and both must be displayed on your vehicle by state law.

Additionally, placing one plate on the front dashboard or in the front windshield is not a legal way to display the license plate.

Rule 217.27 of Title 43 Texas Administrative Code provides that passenger vehicles must display two license plates, one at the EXTERIOR front and one at the EXTERIOR rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground.

Not displaying your license plates is punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Top Bottom