• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I'll never turn down a day at the range so when the wife told me I could have the day to myself for getting my chores done, I headed out to the range on Sunday. I usually try to get there at or before 11am when they open to get a good bench rest and target stands for rifle before a ton of people show up. I'm usually there longer than most, so a lot come and go before I'm done. I went yesterday and spent 5 hours. This was my line up for yesterday:

Rifles
    --------
    M1 Garand
    M1 Carbine
    Mosin Nagant 91/30 Hex
    Chinese M53

Pistols
    ---------
    Yugo M57
    Chinese Type 54-1
    Walther P1
    CZ-50

I pretty much had the whole rifle range to myself as the weather looked like it was going to rain and no one stayed. It turned out to be a really nice day and the only other person(s) on the rifle range were a young DPS Trooper and his family. We hit it off chatting and I let him, his wife and his kids all take a turn shooting each of the rifles I brought. I told them about the history of each type, when they were made, why they were developed, which army used them and how they were used. I showed them the classic 'ping' of the Garand and told them the story/myth about how GI's would use it to trick the Germans into showing themselves. I even gave his kids one of the En Bloc clips as a souvenir so they could tell their friends about the use of the Garand during WWII. It was a fun day sharing with them and teaching them some history on military firearms; they all took pictures of each other shooting the various WWII weapons. It was made even better by being able to teach some young ones and preserve a bit of history. All in all a terrific day at the range.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    That is a great day at the range!

I was just thinking I needed a day like that. Plenty of space, plenty of time. It seems all too often either one is missing.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    so when the wife told me I could have the day to myself for getting my chores done

revoked_card.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Mancard maintained

Class move giving the kids a clip. Unfortunately the 3 letter types watching this site will track it down and confiscate it. You know, because guns n gear incite violence by their mere presence.

You done good FlashBang

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I also cringed at hearing that you got permission from your lady to go to the range. I am a a confirmed bachelor and absolutely won't put up with that stuff. I know it was said in jest but I'm dead serious about my independence. 'Nuff said.

NOW..............Kids and buddies at the range. It just doesn't get much better than that. Kudos for sharing your knowledge and your firearms with the group! The only way that range trip could get better is to have the Stars and Stripes run up the flag pole and the national anthem being played while the sun comes up over a misty Texas morning. That is absolute perfection!

Flash

Top Bottom