Capitol Armory ad

What 22 rifle and auto pistol to buy for plinking???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Ruger 10/22 and MKII (love mine in stainless with 10" bull barrell).
    CZ452 lux in .22 mag
    Henry trapper model Big loop in .22lr (matches my Rossi trapper '92 in 44 mag)
    Norinco breakdown .22lr just like the Browning and Remington
    remington 581-s
    hi standard victor and sport king...
    AMT automag (22mag) wish I still had it....
    and the lowly H&R sportster break action....

brucemph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    georgetown, TX
    I'd have to vote for the Ruger Mark III or the Beretta Neos. I think the Beretta has a slightly better trigger. If your'e just plinking the Ruger 10-22 or the Buckmark is hard to beat.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    think with the 10/22 you can't go wrong. there is a ton of aftermarket parts to build it anyway you can imagine. I have found that th stock barrel can very very accurate if you give it the chance. I have heard that accuracy out of the stock barrels can vary. I think most people don't give them the time. i think it takes about 500 rounds to really break them in before you can judge their accuracy's. That being said for plinking time they do what they are made for. Now if you want a one hole scoped tack driver they can be built to do that. I for one stick with iron sights. i think learning to shoot with irons at distance 50 to 100 yards is critical to good marksmanship.

As for a handgun, again the ruger markII, their 22/45 is another great choice. I went with a 22 lr conversion for my go to weapon to get more trigger time. Now thats if their is a good conversion kit for you weapon. Again, i am not looking for a competition weapon just something i can have fun with, practice my marksmanship and get great practice with sight picture and trigger control.

American ME!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    North Texas
    Ruger mark III or 22/45 can be found pretty cheap used. Great pistols! Ruger 10/22 Carbine is on sale for 179 fairly often.

I've a Universal Carbine replica in .22LR, a Charter Arms AR7, and a Ruger MKII Target which rounds out my .22LR inventory. It seems that the AR7 has a bad rap for jams, but I will be honest with you, I've owned mine for many years and it has been 100% flawless since a feed issue which was solved by deburring the mag(s). It also has great accuracy when sighted in properly, just like any other firearm. My MKII has always been 100% flawless since I've had it. IMHO, Ruger firearms are the most bang for the buck.

American ME!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    North Texas
    think with the 10/22 you can't go wrong. there is a ton of aftermarket parts to build it anyway you can imagine. I have found that th stock barrel can very very accurate if you give it the chance. I have heard that accuracy out of the stock barrels can vary. I think most people don't give them the time. i think it takes about 500 rounds to really break them in before you can judge their accuracy's. That being said for plinking time they do what they are made for. Now if you want a one hole scoped tack driver they can be built to do that. I for one stick with iron sights. i think learning to shoot with irons at distance 50 to 100 yards is critical to good marksmanship.

As for a handgun, again the ruger markII, their 22/45 is another great choice. I went with a 22 lr conversion for my go to weapon to get more trigger time. Now thats if their is a good conversion kit for you weapon. Again, i am not looking for a competition weapon just something i can have fun with, practice my marksmanship and get great practice with sight picture and trigger control.

Both are outstanding.....lot's of bang for the buck. The Ruger 10/22 is like the AR15/M4...a Barbie Doll for the serious shooter. I love my MKII Target as well. But, you can accessorize the AR7 too, FYI.:patriot:

BTW, nice scooter you have there bro!:patriot:

American ME!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    North Texas
    Get a better scope and some decent rings and it might surprise you. My Marlin (Model 60, but I think the barrels and much of the action is the same) is capable of hitting golf balls at 100 yards more often than not.

Come to think of it since you mentioned...I've never put an optic on any .22LR I've ever owned. Strange, but it just came to mind when I saw your reply.:patriot:

Top Bottom