• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moist_critical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2020
    webster, Texas
    so I've been running jhp in my kahr p380. gun seems to have zero problems firing.. however, I noticed the gun bends the front end of my bullets when I slide one into the chamber. I marked two bullets and placed them in the mag so the mark sat at 12 o'clock, pulled the slide back like Kahr recommends, and pressed the slide release, both bullets bent at the 6 o'clock angle in relative terms of where I marked.. I'm sure this completely messes with my accuracy. any thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Are you saying that the bullet is being moved in the case so it is sitting at an angle? Can you post a picture?

Do you have another magazine you can try? Kahr mags can be...iffy at times.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Maybe try a different brand of ammo.
    The overall length of the cartridge is more than likely the issue.
    Look for a cartridge with a "shorter" bullet.
    Some 9mm I've used has a marked difference in length. So much so it will not cycle in some of my guns.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Are you saying that the bullet is being moved in the case so it is sitting at an angle? Can you post a picture?

Do you have another magazine you can try? Kahr mags can be...iffy at times.
    Yes to pictures.
    Also, it bent TWO with a single release of the slide?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Maybe try a different brand of ammo.
    The overall length of the cartridge is more than likely the issue.
    Look for a cartridge with a "shorter" bullet.
    Some 9mm I've used has a marked difference in length. So much so it will not cycle in some of my guns.
    Isn't that what created the need to use ball ammo in certain 100 year old, iconic, Browning-designed .45s?

moist_critical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2020
    webster, Texas
    thanks for the welcome greetings and also the replies! to answer kbaxter60, no, I racked one bullet then looked at the bend, and repeated with another to make sure they bent in a consistent spot. SQLgeek, I've tried this on all 4 of my mags now and its happening every time. baboon, ball ammo seems to rack fine, the bullets I have that are ball look untouched when I do rack one. moon pie, I've tried it now with Sig jhp it only slightly bent them, this is mostly happening to my Winchester silvertip jhp which is my smallest grain I've used(85). maybe the small size is to blame?

Attachments

• 20200617_113940.jpg
      20200617_113940.jpg
      364.9 KB · Views: 283

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Isn't that what created the need to use ball ammo in certain 100 year old, iconic, Browning-designed .45s?

Yes.
    The original gun was designed to work with a RNFMJ bullet.
    When people started trying to use wide mouth HP rounds the jamming issues started. The rounded ogive of the fmj bullet permits feeding. The sharp edge of the HP opening causes hang ups.
    Modern 1911 barrels are made to minimize this problem.
    You'll see the same issue using SWC bullets in the old toggle-link Winchester 1866/73 elevator fed type rifles.
    The sharp edge of the bullet hangs on the chamber mouth. The RN works way mo' betta. Which was the bullet in common use when the gun was designed.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Oh I see. It's deforming the cavity.

The bullet profile doesn't work with the gun. That happens sometimes. I'd switch to Sig or even FMJ since it's .380.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    thanks for the welcome greetings and also the replies! to answer kbaxter60, no, I racked one bullet then looked at the bend, and repeated with another to make sure they bent in a consistent spot. SQLgeek, I've tried this on all 4 of my mags now and its happening every time. baboon, ball ammo seems to rack fine, the bullets I have that are ball look untouched when I do rack one. moon pie, I've tried it now with Sig jhp it only slightly bent them, this is mostly happening to my Winchester silvertip jhp which is my smallest grain I've used(85). maybe the small size is to blame?
    Given the very short distance at which a 380 would be effective, I would not worry about it provided it does feed okay. A little decrease in accuracy will have no discernible effect at short distances.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I'd not be worrying about accuracy but rather about future reliability to feed whatever ammo you are using. If it's deforming the ammo like that, chances are the slide is slowing down during cycling for feeding. Why wait for it to get worse from copper buildup coming off of the bent rounds? Why not contact the manufacturer of the pistol to determine if they are aware of the problem and of the fix. It does not make sense to carry a gun for self defense that is not functioning 100% properly.

Top Bottom