Join TexasGunTalk

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Hoji, Dec 18, 2015.

1. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    " After all, weight loss is always far more complicated that "calories in, calories out"

Maybe. But it is near impossible to lose excess fat while consuming more calories then you are burning "

2. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I have been burning a lot of calories. I've been cutting and burning cedar trees all summer (and it's been HOT!).
    And I've been eating like a refugee!

deemus and vmax like this.
  3. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Basically, yeah. I agree. That's not true in every case; some of my best weight loss happened when I increased my caloric intake. Generally, though, you're right.

But what chaps my butt (and best illustrates how that model is broken for many people) is how easy it is to pack on excess fat while consuming fewer calories. It's possible to simultaneously cut way back on calories and radically increase weight gain if you screw around with other factors at the same time. There are plenty of new diabetics who have been prescribed Actos who can attest to that.

The whole "calories in, calories out" frame of reference is terribly flawed for folks with serious problems yet for people who are basically healthy it usually works beautifully. Moving oneself from the former group to the latter, however, is so f'ing difficult that most such people try all their lives, fail repeatedly, and die without ever succeeding.

4. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    About 3 months ago, I went from 2600 calories or so up to 3000 a day
    And I lost about 3 lbs in 10 days, so yes it does happen. I believe the body adjust to the new fuel intake and cranks up all systems to 100% capacity thinking ...wow this is great, I have all the fuel I need!

But sadly that is not a sustainable way to lose weight.

After a few weeks, my body adjusted to the calorie increase and I started to see the scale move back up slowly, which is what I wanted.

I did notice that I had way more energy in the gym with the increased glycogen levels and I generally felt better after a hard workout.

5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    As I've indicated before, I'm little over 6'1" and 160 lbs. at this time. Eleven years ago when I retired, I weighed about 215 lbs. but it was "mostly" muscle because I worked out with the coaches in the weight room every day of the week. Below is a picture about a month before I retired. 164182-e3c18e48e1b3dbbee59d0445f8ed5098.jpg

Attached Files:

FireInTheWire, karlac and ZX9RCAM like this.
  6. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    As the man said, the idea is to lose fat, not weight ...

deemus likes this.
  7. mongoose

mongoose New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Dropped 55 lbs on Keto and hit a plato. Wife switched me to Mederitarian Diet. Down 15 lbs in 3 weeks. Also been 100+ lately and I’m not to hungry after a hot day.

8. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    Dallas / Ft. Worth
    I dropped 30lb and plateaued. It’s frustrating as hell trying to lose weight when you’re older and diabetic.

I’ve been on a restricted calorie diet and 2 sessions of moderate cardio a day. It’s extremely discouraging but I’m sticking with it. It took a while to put the weight on, it’s going to take time to get it off. What complicates things is the need to manage glucose.

I have to remind myself that minor weight fluctuations are to be expected. At my age, edema is common and water weighs quite a bit.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    vmax and ZX9RCAM like this.
  9. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    My wife went on the Nutrisystem diet and lost 70 pounds in 6 months.

birddog and ZX9RCAM like this.