• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    I could find no other place to post this. My water softener that was put in when we built the house has evidently got a leak in the tank! It still operates but apparently has a slow leak from the tank. I'm glad a put it in the garage! I've checked the drain, checked all the water connections associated with it and can find no other problems. I put it in 27 years ago and it's been working fine until now. Other than possibly vibration, I can't figure out why the plastic/fiberglass tank has formed a leak. I'm about to remove the salt from the tank, drain all the water as best as I can, then activate the bypass valve and pull the tank out to examine the bottom. Anyone have any better ideas?

27 YEARS!!! Mine died after 15. Please tell me where you got yours from so maybe I’ll have your fortune.

Good luck on the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You can if you wish - me, I like the longer life of my mechanical fixtures (toilets, water valves/faucets, water heater, etc). We built this house 16 years ago - dishwasher and washing machine were installed new at that time - still running.
    Yep. Hard water is the devil for long term maintenance.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Is there a downside to the salt in a water softener? I've heard commercials pushing some other water softening system that doesn't use salt saying it puts too much into your water, etc but that seems to be the most common system.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Mama wanted a new one ........................ so guess what! We got a new one (a pretty good deal I thought) and all is well. The one we had was trashed and full of a great deal "slime" for lack of a better word. Came with a pretty good warranty. It'll be up and running here shortly. Thanks TR for the heads up, but we already had it when I visited with your sister(?).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Is there a downside to the salt in a water softener? I've heard commercials pushing some other water softening system that doesn't use salt saying it puts too much into your water, etc but that seems to be the most common system.

It's the most common system because it **works**. I'm VERY familiar with the "alternative" units - most of 'em have been around for years marketed under other names until their poor performance catches up w/them, then they disappear while they figure out a new hook to promote 'em under. Bottom line - if they worked, I'd sell 'em. My name is on my product - and I stand behind what I sell (hell, I even service stuff I didn't sell). 40 years in the industry has shown me that a fast-talking salesman can STILL sell ice to an eskimo, though.

Just did a repair this morning for a couple that bought the unit from a local "big name" competitor. All was peaches and cream until 3 years after the install, and they still hadn't received a copy of the owner's manual. Fast forward another year, the system stops working all together and they can't even get this company to return their call. I go by.....the unit was discontinued by the manufacturer a year BEFORE they bought it (when they discontinued them, they "fire-saled" the existing stock for pennies on the dollar - these guys bought up like a hundred of them). It's the second one I've encountered from them - luckily, I was able to scrounge up a replacement board and get them back up and going - but had to tell them that if it acts up again, figure to replace it - the board I got was literally the last one the manufacturer had. It happens in all the industries, but I still hate to see it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom