• ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    +
    You really don't need that 3-stage filter....and I've used the water here in NB for 18+ years with just a softener - which is all I recommend to 95% of my customers.
    Understood. My neighbor set one up and I thought it wasn’t a bad idea to catch the initial flow to possibly prolong the life of my softener. Cost me a couple hundred bucks to build and get up. Cost me about $140 for the filters once per year. My big concern was if it would reduce my pressure, but if it did, I don’t notice it.

I won’t argue it may be overkill, but I know it can’t hurt. It has eliminated a red tint from the toilet bowl of a seldom used commode. I was told that red tint was iron. One of my filters is an iron filter.
    Lynx Defense

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My well water is very good tasting, but it is hard...

I use a tabletop distiller; water makes crystal clear tea and coffee and I use it for cooking also.

For drinking water I add about a quarter teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt per gallon to take the flat off. Alkaline water replaces the salt with baking soda. Another approach is to add back well water to make a reduced mineral water.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I bought the Zero Water system after finding out it is the only one that filters out fluoride with the standard filter. Only drawback with any of these is the fact that they remove EVERYTHING. Best to add back in Trace Minerals [I make smoothies with mine cause I hate the taste in my water]. I run the Zero Water in my ice machine and keep the big ZW dispenser in the fridge for cold water. I work outside daily and drink over a gallon of water between 9am and 4pm.
    Best system out there for the money.
    I use these as well. We tested it a few different ways, and I have three different TDS testers as well that stay very close to each other in detection. My PH testers fluctuated a little more in the past and had to be calibrated more often.

I have back up Seychelle water filters as well now. The Zero and Seychelle get all or most of the PFAS out of rainwater, that's what my whole house runs on. Both the wife and I have been pretty impressed with the Zero Water filters.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Understood. My neighbor set one up and I thought it wasn’t a bad idea to catch the initial flow to possibly prolong the life of my softener. Cost me a couple hundred bucks to build and get up. Cost me about $140 for the filters once per year. My big concern was if it would reduce my pressure, but if it did, I don’t notice it.

I won’t argue it may be overkill, but I know it can’t hurt. It has eliminated a red tint from the toilet bowl of a seldom used commode. I was told that red tint was iron. One of my filters is an iron filter.

More than likely silt - because a water softener will trap trace iron easily. Just be careful if those are pre-softener. I've seen filters gradually foul to the point that they'd restrict pressure - if it drops below around 32 psi, the softener won't regenerate properly (not enough delta at the venturi for proper brine draw). Best way to test them is to run water in a bathtub, and see what kind of pressure you're getting off of the final filter going into the softener. I've made more than one service call where plugged filters were the culprit, which is why I generally put them post-softener if I'm going to use them. Then again, the softener gives an effective 20 micron filtration just by it's media usage. I use a 10% resin out of Canada - it's expensive, but generally gives me 6-8 years life here in NB....and replacing it costs less that what you're spending just in filters every 5 years. Don't know what Heat & Treat is getting on a rebed now, but last time I heard they can be pricey...if they show up.<G>

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Don't overthink things....what's the TDS of your tap water?
    Just tested tonight...
    TapProOneStore bought RO
    TDS3062748
    total hardness120250
    free chlorine100
    iron000
    copper000
    lead000
    nitrate0250
    nitrite010
    mps20206
    total chlorine310
    fluoride1000
    cyanic acid000
    chlorine dioxide50100
    qac1005
    total alkalinity1801800
    carbonate12012040
    pH98.26.4

Reactions: gll

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I have had water you had to chew to swallow (military)! Got to be really thirsty though. Being too clean reduces your immunities in my opinion. Tap water all my life, sometimes from a well.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I do miss our artesian well water. I love when I go to my sisters house. She still has it.

Reactions: gll

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    More than likely silt - because a water softener will trap trace iron easily. Just be careful if those are pre-softener. I've seen filters gradually foul to the point that they'd restrict pressure - if it drops below around 32 psi, the softener won't regenerate properly (not enough delta at the venturi for proper brine draw). Best way to test them is to run water in a bathtub, and see what kind of pressure you're getting off of the final filter going into the softener. I've made more than one service call where plugged filters were the culprit, which is why I generally put them post-softener if I'm going to use them. Then again, the softener gives an effective 20 micron filtration just by it's media usage. I use a 10% resin out of Canada - it's expensive, but generally gives me 6-8 years life here in NB....and replacing it costs less that what you're spending just in filters every 5 years. Don't know what Heat & Treat is getting on a rebed now, but last time I heard they can be pricey...if they show up.<G>

Thanks for the info, I appreciate everything you are saying.

Heat and Treat has been very good to me. I called them 2 days prior to my foundation being poured and they came to my build site and ran lines before the foundation pour so that they would be good to go for the RO filter lines to the reefer and kitchen sink. Didn’t ask for a cent until the system was installed almost a full year later. I coordinated the installation shortly before getting my keys to the house and they had everything installed and ready. They came out a couple days after we moved in to go over everything and I’ve used them for annual RO filters ever since. They came out once after 3 years when I called for a check up and they tested everything, and it’s good to go.

My pics don’t really show it but the tank resin line is about 2 inches above the small mark and 4 above line stating to call when it drops to that level.

I understand what you are saying on the pressure and will watch closely. Also understand I may be using overkill on this, but I am comfortable with the extra work required to keep this setup functioning.

Attachments

• 90EF86D1-228C-4121-AF4C-6B8951420826.jpeg
      90EF86D1-228C-4121-AF4C-6B8951420826.jpeg
      217.2 KB · Views: 58
    • F1E79343-81D2-4535-9724-6B103986DC9B.jpeg
      F1E79343-81D2-4535-9724-6B103986DC9B.jpeg
      132.9 KB · Views: 59

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I understand what you are saying on the pressure and will watch closely. Also understand I may be using overkill on this, but I am comfortable with the extra work required to keep this setup functioning.

As an old square-head, I appreciate overkill....lol I'm just really careful with my customer's money spent. And as long as you're happy with the results, that's all that really matters!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Just tested tonight...
    TapProOneStore bought RO
    TDS3062748
    total hardness120250
    free chlorine100
    iron000
    copper000
    lead000
    nitrate0250
    nitrite010
    mps20206
    total chlorine310
    fluoride1000
    cyanic acid000
    chlorine dioxide50100
    qac1005
    total alkalinity1801800
    carbonate12012040
    pH98.26.4
    I don't even know what a ProOne is, but what is it doing, replacing Ca with Na to reduce hardness and and replacing Cl with NO3? Some kind of ion exchange resin?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    As an old square-head, I appreciate overkill....lol I'm just really careful with my customer's money spent. And as long as you're happy with the results, that's all that really matters!
    Thanks…and again, thank you for the information. I definitely learned some new stuff from your posts!

Take care,

Buzz

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't even know what a ProOne is
    It's a gravity filter similar to the Berky. Their filters have an advantage over Berky's in that they don't need to be primed or kept saturated, and are designed so you can scrub the scale off the exterior of the filter to increase lifespan.

...but the main reason I chose ProOne over Berky is because their filters remove fluoride without additional filters. At least the tests show that to be true.
    Some kind of ion exchange resin?
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's part of it. It does have similar mouth feel to softened water.

The issue I have with the ProOne is there is an off taste in my tap water that is still present after filtering. Plus it causes the same physiological response in my dog that the tap water does.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It's a gravity filter similar to the Berky. Their filters have an advantage over Berky's in that they don't need to be primed or kept saturated, and are designed so you can scrub the scale off the exterior of the filter to increase lifespan.

...but the main reason I chose ProOne over Berky is because their filters remove fluoride without additional filters. At least the tests show that to be true.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's part of it. It does have similar mouth feel to softened water.

The issue I have with the ProOne is there is an off taste in my tap water that is still present after filtering. Plus it causes the same physiological response in my dog that the tap water does.
    Probably sulfates...

Distilling removes all the dissolved solids.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Distilling removes all the dissolved solids.
    I already have a counter-top distiller on the way :)

I'll try to do a cost analysis to see if it makes any since to use the distiller over RO, but I figure having the distiller will be handy for emergencies either way. It's variable temperature too, so it can distill... other things...

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Most water filters won't filter out chemicals, much less radiation. I have an Omni under sink I've had for 20 years. It's not the crap you see thatll kill you anyway.

I just drink the crap, and don't stress over it. Go to Mexico and drink the water.....well, it doesn't bother them.

Use antibacterial everything, ( which enhances the bacterias ability to survive antibiotics), overuse antibiotics. ...water filter or bottled water.....and.......you know...( whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger) .....go to a restaurant that serves ice water with cubes from tap......

I'll take my chances with regular dosing and building up a resistance. WTH, I've outlived a buttload of health nuts my age.

( And yeah. ...I'm still in mourning over my yard!)
    This is from... four years ago? Wow. Any change in your view on this? I understand that the public drinking water in most all areas has varying levels of estrogen from women taking birth control and passing it into the sewer and the public water works doesn't filter it out.... great

Top Bottom