• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I have a good quality portable filter - forget the brand, but a pump type backpacking filter that's part of my portable kit.

But for general and ongoing use, I'm thinking of getting one of those zero home filters.

There are big, canister type filters available - I can think of one that is sold on Frugal Squirrel's forum for example. Those are great, but cost quite a bit more than a Walmart stocked zero.

My goal is to once again get a place in the country and drill my own well - and hopefully have good, clean water that way. But for now, I have to consider that my water source could devolve into buckets hauled from Lady Bird lake....
    Capitol Armory ad

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I have the whirlpool WHKF‐DWHBB
    I buy a cheaper filter from Amazon and I replace it every 30 to 60 days. I have water from a system on Lake Texoma and it shocked me how nasty this filter gets in 30 days. I also run a water softener as well.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Most water filters won't filter out chemicals, much less radiation. I have an Omni under sink I've had for 20 years. It's not the crap you see thatll kill you anyway.

I just drink the crap, and don't stress over it. Go to Mexico and drink the water.....well, it doesn't bother them.

Use antibacterial everything, ( which enhances the bacterias ability to survive antibiotics), overuse antibiotics. ...water filter or bottled water.....and.......you know...( whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger) .....go to a restaurant that serves ice water with cubes from tap......

I'll take my chances with regular dosing and building up a resistance. WTH, I've outlived a buttload of health nuts my age.

( And yeah. ...I'm still in mourning over my yard!)

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Big Berkey - that's what I was thinking about on Frugals..

I've got a life straw as well - that's part of my portable kit.

I drink tap water and always have. I'm mostly concerned about getting dysentery in a bad situation.

Matt568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    San Francisco, California
    Lake or surface water has to be properly purified and disinfected before consumed. High nitrates (from animal waste), bacteria, viruses, high arsenic concentrations can be toxic to human health. Zero water filters and many other branded pitcher type filters simply cannot get rid of all these contaminants.

Unless you get a water analysis done and confirm the lake water is safe enough, your best option is to filter through a reverse osmosis type of filter with a NSF-55 class A certified uv light disinfector system as a post filter.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the whirlpool WHKF‐DWHBB
    I buy a cheaper filter from Amazon and I replace it every 30 to 60 days. I have water from a system on Lake Texoma and it shocked me how nasty this filter gets in 30 days. I also run a water softener as well.
    Yummy Texoma water. I don't miss those days. We use to boat on Texoma EVERY weekend for years. During the week, you'd get water out of the faucet and it would smell like the lake. :froggy:

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Lake or surface water has to be properly purified and disinfected before consumed. High nitrates (from animal waste), bacteria, viruses, high arsenic concentrations can be toxic to human health. Zero water filters and many other branded pitcher type filters simply cannot get rid of all these contaminants.

Unless you get a water analysis done and confirm the lake water is safe enough, your best option is to filter through a reverse osmosis type of filter with a NSF-55 class A certified uv light disinfector system as a post filter.

Sure, yes, reverse osmosis and ionization purifiers are great. The thing is will you have the water pressure to make the RO unit work? How about electricity for the ionization or UV light units? Yes, you could utilize solar panels or a wind turbine but the thing is - this all runs into some money that I don't have right now. I'm working on getting to the point I can do that but not at the moment, so practically....

Matt568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    San Francisco, California
    Sure, yes, reverse osmosis and ionization purifiers are great. The thing is will you have the water pressure to make the RO unit work? How about electricity for the ionization or UV light units? Yes, you could utilize solar panels or a wind turbine but the thing is - this all runs into some money that I don't have right now. I'm working on getting to the point I can do that but not at the moment, so practically....
    Yes, the ro works with water pressure. There are pressure booster pump kits that work on 12V batteries. UV can work with a 120V inverter connected to a battery that charges from solar power.

Top Bottom