• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Recently I've been focused on getting moa accuracy out of a diamond back AR10. Although it may never happen there's always room for some extra components in the old tool shed. So, I took the plunge and ordered 500 pieces of starline 308 match brass.

I was thinking well, I have a few thousand more small rifle primers, so why not ? I've read both good things and bad about them but I did read on starlines website that they still use their standard .080" flash hole. The only hang up about sr primed 308 rounds seems to be cold weather related ignition issues.

Since I plan on using them strictly for target loads, I figured I've got nothing to lose. But I'm still asking the question...bad idea ? Or smart move?
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    No problem.
    I'm using small rifle primers in 6 Creedmoor. Same flash hole.
    Lots of writeups out there on this issue. It's not an issue. Unless you get the small flash hole.
    Most of those guys sand down the decapping pin. You don't need to worry about it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've ran a ton of Lapua 308 palma brass in my 7mm-08ai and it has a .059" flash hole versus the standard .080". I've never had a single issue with ignition in our winter temps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Recently I've been focused on getting moa accuracy out of a diamond back AR10. Although it may never happen there's always room for some extra components in the old tool shed. So, I took the plunge and ordered 500 pieces of starline 308 match brass.

I was thinking well, I have a few thousand more small rifle primers, so why not ? I've read both good things and bad about them but I did read on starlines website that they still use their standard .080" flash hole. The only hang up about sr primed 308 rounds seems to be cold weather related ignition issues.

Since I plan on using them strictly for target loads, I figured I've got nothing to lose. But I'm still asking the question...bad idea ? Or smart move?
    The only bad idea is buying something FIRST and asking questions and opinions SECOND. I'll never understand why people do that.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The only bad idea is buying something FIRST and asking questions and opinions SECOND. I'll never understand why people do that.

Some may find this interesting.
    From my former career as an ad agency monkey…we had data for literally everything.

For expensive purchases (which are often equally emotionally and financially driven), most folks do as much or more “research” after they’ve bought the item, to reinforce and confirm that they made a smart purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So drill them out larger?
    I wouldn't. I've looked at the differences between large and small primer rifle cases and from what I can tell, you can get a little better consistency in your standard deviations with the small primers. Another advantage is with the smaller hole, you get less pressure in the primer pocket. Also there's more meat around the primer pocket, so the brass tends to last longer - as far as stretching out pocket goes.

I've got a mix of large and small primer 6.5CM brass, and I just did what Vaquero said, and sanded down my depriming pin to keep from swaging out the flash hole.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well starline runs a .080" flashhole on these so I won't need to modify my dies or decapping pins. I bought them based on value for cost and ability to use the sr primers which I have several thousand more of. Although the additional material at the case web is a plus too.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I
    I wouldn't. I've looked at the differences between large and small primer rifle cases and from what I can tell, you can get a little better consistency in your standard deviations with the small primers. Another advantage is with the smaller hole, you get less pressure in the primer pocket. Also there's more meat around the primer pocket, so the brass tends to last longer - as far as stretching out pocket goes.

I've got a mix of large and small primer 6.5CM brass, and I just did what Vaquero said, and sanded down my depriming pin to keep from swaging out the flash hole.
    I've never had issues with primer pockets in a 264wm '61 mod70 with 2,500+ rounds of fast rounds and used 200 rounds of super x. SMK140 with .5gr over max according to sierra #5 manual. I used the same 200 cases each time.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Yes Sir.
    But Mr Robert has me thinking twice about it - maybe not such a good idea to drill out the flash hole afterall.
    I agree.... I could be mistaken, but drilling out the flash hole increases the odds of backing a primer out of the case on firing. That's almost never a good thing.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I could be mistaken, but drilling out the flash hole increases the odds of backing a primer out of the case on firing. That's almost never a good thing.
    You're right in the context of this thread. However, if you ever want to go down a rabbit hole, do some research on flash hole drilling for shooting homemade handgun blanks. That could be a whole 'nother thread. :)

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    You're right in the context of this thread. However, if you ever want to go down a rabbit hole, do some research on flash hole drilling for shooting homemade handgun blanks. That could be a whole 'nother thread. :)
    Yes, that is correct. I've heard of drilling them out to shoot wax or plastic bullets, as well. But with "real" loads, it can be a bad thing, or so I've read.

Top Bottom