Gun Zone Deals

Was going to change the oil myself, but......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I always do my own, too many people working on cars that don't know what they are doing.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Fortunately, I found a local place - not a chain - where they have actual adults as opposed to the normal crop of 20-somethings. They are competent, courteous, and experienced. And they listen to my special instructions - no vacuuming, do not worry about other filters, and only let me know if other fluids are low, as I will take care of the other routine stuff.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I would suck it up and pay the dealer to do it.
    Dealer service depts are barely better than the quicklube places. They only have one or two experienced mechanics, and they aren't doing oil changes. The ones doing oil changes are the newest techs in the shop who've either been run off by other dealers or just got out of school and no one knows they don't belong anywhere near customer's equipment yet.

An independent mechanic is always your best bet.

millstadt-1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Waco texas
    Went to a jiffy lube and ended up with one of these in my oil pan because they stripped the threads of the real plug. I kept wondering why my truck was leaking oil. Recommend inspecting your car before and after at these quick lube shops. Was able to fish the wing nut out without having to remove the oil pan (difficult in this truck). Re tapped the hole with a larger diameter and bought a larger diameter plug.
    1643913759361.png

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Dealer service depts are barely better than the quicklube places. They only have one or two experienced mechanics, and they aren't doing oil changes. The ones doing oil changes are the newest techs in the shop who've either been run off by other dealers or just got out of school and no one knows they don't belong anywhere near customer's equipment yet.

An independent mechanic is always your best bet.

Dan is right on about this. I'm the only one with current master tech certs at the shop I work at. For oil changes your always going to get the lowest guy on the totem pole. I'm thinking about going independent soon. I offer a better end value to a customer without a middle man.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Dan is right on about this. I'm the only one with current master tech certs at the shop I work at. For oil changes your always going to get the lowest guy on the totem pole. I'm thinking about going independent soon. I offer a better end value to a customer without a middle man.
    Hard enough to keep up with GM myself. Can't imagine being able to maintain the level of education I expect out of myself for "all makes". Actually it's impossible for anyone...just some don't mind getting by.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I took the company truck into the Ford dealership (F250) in Schulenburg in December, the A/C was malfunctioning, I assumed the blower motor but it was a clogged intake port (my terminology not theirs), the blower was fine. For this process, the dash had to be removed. Keep in mind, I gave them TWO business weeks to work on this while I was taking vacation time so they would not be rushed in any way. The Tuesday morning 1/4/2022 I returned to work, I started it up. The steering column controls did not function, the dashboard indicator for the airbags was lit, and last week when parking on a steep incline I happened to find out, the hard way, they had not reconnected the parking brake cable to the release lever. I was able to resolve this by reaching under the dash with the loop of a caulk gun and manually pulling the lever, would have been a bitch being stuck in San Antonio, but I digress. Finally had time to return to the dealer yesterday to correct all of these issues, hopefully, on Monday everything will be corrected. My guess is the tech was/is a smartass moron who thinks he knows everything and he did NOT do a test drive to check his work. It has been a pain in the ass having no horn, no cruise, unable to use the parking brake, etc. It really chaps my ass that someone can be this careless.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I took the company truck into the Ford dealership (F250) in Schulenburg in December, the A/C was malfunctioning, I assumed the blower motor but it was a clogged intake port (my terminology not theirs), the blower was fine. For this process, the dash had to be removed. Keep in mind, I gave them TWO business weeks to work on this while I was taking vacation time so they would not be rushed in any way. The Tuesday morning 1/4/2022 I returned to work, I started it up. The steering column controls did not function, the dashboard indicator for the airbags was lit, and last week when parking on a steep incline I happened to find out, the hard way, they had not reconnected the parking brake cable to the release lever. I was able to resolve this by reaching under the dash with the loop of a caulk gun and manually pulling the lever, would have been a bitch being stuck in San Antonio, but I digress. Finally had time to return to the dealer yesterday to correct all of these issues, hopefully, on Monday everything will be corrected. My guess is the tech was/is a smartass moron who thinks he knows everything and he did NOT do a test drive to check his work. It has been a pain in the ass having no horn, no cruise, unable to use the parking brake, etc. It really chaps my ass that someone can be this careless.

Okay, I'm out today due to a knee injury yesterday, my associate went and retrieved the truck from the dealership and reports everything functions now. Still chaps my ass, having to go back in.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Okay, I'm out today due to a knee injury yesterday, my associate went and retrieved the truck from the dealership and reports everything functions now. Still chaps my ass, having to go back in.

Getting an evaporator or hvac case out of most vehicles is no joke. Most underpay for the effort required. Some I've done like the Toyota Prius have to be stripped bare to the firewall, steering column and literally everything you see in front of you removed. Those pay 6.5hrs. Still no excuse for what you experienced. I road test everything I touch on the highway unless it's a window motor or similar repair. Also check all critical fluids whether I service them or not.

I hate to say within my career I've seen the bar drop lower and lower. People have no pride in what they do or genuine concern for a customer. Craziest thing of all, in spite of being the most efficient and qualified tech just about everywhere I've worked, the slackers are more profitable to a company because I truly fix things right the first time.

When a car comes back due to technician negligence it's the service writers job to blow smoke up your ass and tell you how it needed the next repair too but he was trying to help you out on the first go round. I'm really looking forward to building tech-direct relationships when I start my own business. I can admit fault when it's mine and make things right because I have the integrity to do so.

When I'm up and running I'm sure I'll advertise here as a sponsor. In the meantime y'all can always PM me for advice, questions or possibly some side work I might be willing to take on.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have usually changed my own oil. The last two times I didn’t, once my oil plug was left only hand tight and the other time my wife’s was put on so tight the plug had to have a cold chisel on it to remove it.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Most dash out jobs can be completed in less time than book pays (customer pay). I'd rather do dash jobs than heavy line but low and behold I am in a small dealer (Monday started here 9-10-01) and we are bumper to bumper.

I change my own oil too ... but hate every second.

Top Bottom