Military Camp

Was at the Alamo with my family today. Loved it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Howdy folks!

Took family on a road trip from Phoenix to College Station in two days.

I made it a point to stop at the Alamo with my family and we paid for a guided tour of the grounds.

Shout out to Ed, who is a docent there. He broke down 300 years of history and the events leading up to the siege of the Alamo. My kids were fascinated and excited to learn the details as well as seeing history face to face so to speak.

Any recommended books or movies about the Alamo, Texas independence and early republic history?

They are interested in Angelina Dickinson especially.

Only down side were dumb commies shouting outside in support of the commie dictator of Bolivia whom they claimed was ousted with U.S. help. It's a free public space so whatever except for the noise.

Thanks in advance, gents!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I've been to the Alamo and Goliad since I moved to Texas 4 1/2 years ago, but I visited the Alamo on 3 other occasions since 1966 when I was stationed at Lackland AFB for basic training. I think it should be mandatory for people that move here from a liberal state like NY, IL, CA or WA. and most of the eastern seaboard before they become TX citizens IMHO.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Not long after I moved to Texas I visited the Alamo, spent most the day there. The film they had there was very informative. Wish it included the rest of the compound where the fighting happened, but I was still in awe of those who fought and died there. Spent the rest of that day on the river walk, it was very hot and humid that day.

Tamlibtoim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    Been to the Alamo probably 3 or 4 times now since living in Texas. If you get a chance to go see Battleship Texas better hurry because I think they are moving her due to lack of interest. It’s costing more in upkeep than the $$$ it brings in

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    When my grandkids came down and visited in Sept I took them to San Jacinto and the battleship. I went there at least once a year for the last 4 years and 3 times before I moved here when visiting family. I must say that it was very sad to see the condition , and to not see anyone walking on it and enjoying it. I hope they find a good home for the ship it doesn't sound like it is coming back to the park. What I heard maybe to Galveston where the sub and destroyer is but they really don't seem to really want it. I hope it does come back to where we can see it again.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    When my grandkids came down and visited in Sept I took them to San Jacinto and the battleship. I went there at least once a year for the last 4 years and 3 times before I moved here when visiting family. I must say that it was very sad to see the condition , and to not see anyone walking on it and enjoying it. I hope they find a good home for the ship it doesn't sound like it is coming back to the park. What I heard maybe to Galveston where the sub and destroyer is but they really don't seem to really want it. I hope it does come back to where we can see it again.
    Even sitting still, the water and creatures are harsh on metal. They may be better off, like I have seen with others, putting the hull in concrete, but even that would take a lot of money.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm surprised you didn't suggest drydock.
    If I remember rightly, the hull is deteriorating and flooding compartments. Repairing the hull would take drydocking, and depending on how bad of shape it's in, that in itself can effect the structure of the ship. I'm not an engineer, and I certainly don't know the extent of putting her on land and concreting the base, but I can't imagine it would cost a whole lot more than putting a new hull on her.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    They need to keep that ship in seaworthy condition. If we ever secede from the U.S., we can paint “Come and Take It” on the hull and consider it a modern day version of the Gonzales cannon.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    When she went to dry dock in the 90s they did a poor job.She has been sitting on the bottom for some years now. Need to build a coffer dam and drain her slip. She is already supported by concrete stanchions. She may settle some but won't fall over. Engines and such were removed many many years ago. Its too late to restore much below the water line. But worth the effort, she is the only dreadnought left in the world.
    I think Galveston would be a good choice for the Texas.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm glad I saw her when I was young and she was whole.
    So many areas closed now. I'd have trouble getting to them now if they were open. My last visit was in '07. Wasn't a lot to see then.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I grew up just a few miles from the battleground and we fished, picnicked, rode bikes, etc, many times. Many visits included a tour of the battleship.
    It is sad to think it's not there anymore.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I grew up just a few miles from the battleground and we fished, picnicked, rode bikes, etc, many times. Many visits included a tour of the battleship.
    It is sad to think it's not there anymore.
    It's there, you just can't go aboard.

Top Bottom