• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcatblues

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Mckinney
    i have a converted saiga .223 rifle, now i wish to replace the original FSB with AK74 FSB. i've been researching online, so pressing out the original FSB and drilling out the dimples will not be a problem, however people didn't mention on how they align the FSB to the rear sight, so the rifle can be re-zeroed after pressing back the new AK74 FSB, furtermore there are 2 roller pins on the bottom of the FSB, they never said how to cut the groove to set the 2 roller pins. i like to do work on my own, so unless this is something absolutly need a experienced gunsmith, i want to do it on my own. please help me compelet this project any input will help me. thank you!
    this is the FSB i am going to buy dinzagarms

and this is how the original FSB looks like

DSC05812.jpg DSC05809.jpg
    Lynx Defense

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The only way to really line up a FSB by yourself is by test firing. I've replaced front sight bases on a lot of AK's, and that's the final test of alignment. You "cut" the groves by drilling through the pin holes on the new FSB. Use at least one of the original FSB pin detents for the new one to make it easy. Take a long, straight piece of wire and align it down the buttstock, through the rear sight, and up the top of the barrel to the front sight to get an idea of the alignment. You can also use a thin piece of thread, tied to the buttstock, through the rear sight and tied to the front sight pin. Then, once you get the thing lined up, make sure the sight pin is centered and go shoot it. If the group is to the right of aim, drift the FSB left, if it's to the left, drift the FSB right. Drifting is done with a large hammer and a brass drift, or something soft on the FSB to keep from chipping it. Expect to lose a bit of finish though. Once you have it pretty damn close, take it home and drill the pin detents and set the pins. Before you get the FSB, take a look at Krebs for a front sight/gas block. I've seen them on Saigas and they look pretty unique.

Discalaimer: I've had about 3 pitchers of beer this evening, so don't do any of this until I've had a chance to read it tommorrow and make sure I'm not telling you how to destroy a rifle...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    This is what I'm talking about:

codygjohnson-albums-what-s-your-zombie-plan-picture2446-romanian-akm.JPG

codygjohnson-albums-what-s-your-zombie-plan-picture2447-krebs-fsb-gas-block.JPG

That's a Romanian AKM I built a few years ago. It's got a Krebs FSB/gas block. Someday I might SBR it and chop it right in front of the gas block, but untill then, it still looks pretty unique.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    All sobered up...

If the group is to the right of aim, drift the FSB left, if it's to the left, drift the FSB right.

Now, I DO mean the front sight base, not just the adjustable part of the front sight, the whole thing. If you look closely at the rifle pictures I uploaded, you can see the blemishes in the finish on the FSB from drifting. I should've test fired the rifle before I finished it, but in the new place, I don't have all the space I used to. The SO doesn't exactly like me baking on finishes in the kitchen oven, so I have to do it whenever I can. In this rifles case, it was before it was test fired. I touched up the finish with some Birchwood Casey - Super Black Flat.

You want to get the front sight as centered as possible with the adjustable site in the center of the FSB. You won't be able to get it perfect, but you do want to get it as close as possible. The least amount of front sight adjustment once it's centered and pinned, the better.

Also, if you've got the money, buy an AR front sight adapter. It replaces the cylinder that the sight pin screws into and lets you use an AR front sight post. It won't seem like much of a difference until you look at the two front sight pins side by side. The AK pin is HUGE. It's not very crisp and really covers up too much of the target. The AKM that I've shown has an A2 National Match post. With the short sight radius it makes all the difference in the world. You should be able to get the adapter from Midway USA or Brownells. Make sure to by an AR post at the same time.

When you remove the sight post and cylinder you are going to have a hell of a time getting the original back together. On the AK, the original sight post is split to keep it from riding up and down with vibration. I'm not sure how they get it in at the factory, but I've never been able to put one back in. I haven't ever HAD too, but I've still tried. This is another good reason to upgrade the sights.

phatcatblues

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Mckinney
    thanx for the quick reply and the info, i am ganna start taking thing apart over the weekend, that kerbs custom FSB/GB is awsome, something maybe i should consider as well. hopefully everything comes off nice and smooth.

PS: very nice rifle you have there!

phatcatblues

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Mckinney
    ok, so i've taken off the FSB, guess what, there is no groove or channel for the pins to set the fsb in place..........and i accidentally cut little to deep into the barrel, but i figure that shouldn't be a problem, because the dimple on the barrel are deeper. or i should start file class III stamp for SBR, lol
    the AK74 FSB should be here thursday afternoon, hopefully i can finish this project and head to Gibsons outpost next weekend.
    DSC05818.jpg

Top Bottom