• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I've an older model 60. The stock's dinged up, so I'm going to refinish it. While I have it taken apart, is there anything I can do to "enhance" this rifle? Filing, polishing, getting a better fit between the stock & metal, that sort of thing.

Not really wanting to buy a bunch of new parts, simply re-work what's there. I've had it apart for a thorough cleaning, the parts don't seem to have much wear on them.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not really a whole lot to do to them except to buy a decent scope and rings for it (especially the rings). New stocks are actually pretty cheap for these, around $30 a couple years ago when I bought mine. With a decent scope and good rings these things are damn accurate. I'm getting about 2 MOA at 100 yards from mine shooting bulk Remington ammo. Hitting golf balls at 100 yards is a "most of the time" thing. Rifle is about as old as I am (34 years old), because it's a Glenfield 75C variant.

Oh, one thing you should look at and probably replace. There's a plastic bumper at the back of the rifle that the bolt recoils off. Replace it. They get old, they get hard, they break in half and part of it can fall down into the trigger assembly, blocking it from working. And now you know the story of how I got a perfectly good Marlin 60 for $10 cash money. You might consider replacing the return spring for the bolt, other than that... can't think of anything I'd change on my rifle other than give it a good cleaning. After about 1500 rounds, it got dirty enough that I can't hit a golf ball pretty much at will. There was a huge buildup of crud around the muzzle... guess that was a sign!

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks for the heads-up on the plastic bumper. I didn't notice anything wrong (cracks, wear etc.), but a new one couldn't hurt.

What do you consider a decent scope & rings?

Anyone in particular you prefer to purchase your parts through?

I may end up with a new stock, (depending on how the refinishing goes), but I want to see what I can do with this one first. I've got a new can of Minwax I want to try on it.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    After about 1500 rounds, it got dirty enough that I can't hit a golf ball pretty much at will. There was a huge buildup of crud around the muzzle... guess that was a sign!

What kind of Remington ammo were you using? I bought 5000 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt and kind of regret it now. It's a wax coated bullet and the wax builds up in the grooves and crown and eventually can damage the gun if not cleaned out regularly. Fun to plink with but get 2 or 3 misfires per 100. I'm working on shooting this stuff up and then I'll get something better.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually there are quite a few mods you can do to improve the trigger of the 60.

DIP makes excellent drop in triggers, guards and charging handles for the 60. Diversified Innovative Products - Main Page. The trigger and guard ass'y is on my wish list (did you hear that Santa?).

Here is an excellent source of info for Marlins. The stickys at the top have step-by-steps on how to reduce trigger pull and break. Marlin Semiautomatic - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I've done the sear and disconnecter mod (second sticky) and all I can say is WOW! I ordered new parts from Numrich's to do the mod, but you can use the originals.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind of Remington ammo were you using? I bought 5000 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt and kind of regret it now. It's a wax coated bullet and the wax builds up in the grooves and crown and eventually can damage the gun if not cleaned out regularly. Fun to plink with but get 2 or 3 misfires per 100. I'm working on shooting this stuff up and then I'll get something better.

My 60 hates Remington. I had a slew of FTF's and FTE's (about 15%). It's also not a big fan of Winchester white box. It eats Federal, CCI, and Aquila like a famine victim, though. If you choose CCI, stay away from Stingers, they'll bash the dickens out of your recoil buffer

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Yeah, the Thunderbolt stuff is pretty bad. My memory tripped me up. I'm shooting Winchester 555 bulk right now. Last stuff I shot was Aguila Supermax, which my rifle absolutely loved.

Decent scope? I traded even up a $200 scope, rings I don't remember, but the cheap $4 ring set I had on it that kept slipping has gone into the trash. You can't really spend too much on a scope and rings. You can spend too little.

Top Bottom