• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Thinking of building a couple of AR-10's and was wondering if anyone can give me an approximate price on a kit and the level of difficulty of the build. Anyone that has done this before please chime in.
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Depending on what you want, anywhere from $600~ for a bare bones, up to almost unlimited costs with deluxe components, optics and add ons.

Mine was about $750 sans the optics. I've go a decent (CMMG) lower with a DPMS parts kit, and low end stock. But the upper is middle of the road, although I've got a free float quad rail, and flip up BUIS.

As far as difficulty, the lower is pretty simple, doesn't require and special tools, and there are a number of videos and step by step instructions around to guide you through that. I took my time with my lower, and read along with the instructions and it took about 2 hours. But a good portion of that time was chasing down small springs that seem to jump into the air when least expected, sometimes launching the tiny pins they are supposed to push. LOL.

The upper is a different matter. Especially the barrel, which to do right, you need some special tools. I bought mine (gun show) with the barrel and gas system installed, then added the free float quad rail, bolt carrier group, charging handle etc myself. Or you can buy a complete assembled upper ready to mount. That wll cost a tad more, but will get you shooting pretty fast.

I found that an enjoyable project, and I now know why some many people get hooked on EBRs. Good luck.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    You can buy an assembled rifle cheaper than you can build one. DPMS Sporticle can be had for $800 complete. Some of the uppers are more than that. You can get Pmags for around $25 for the .308 now too. No difference in building a 10 vs a 15.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I spent about $2k putting my Armalite AR-10 together, and it does not yet have a high-dollar trigger or optics yet.

Remember, ONLY Armalite makes an AR-10, everything else is a .308 AR variant. I don't mean to say that Armalite is the only good .308 AR out there, but the term "AR-10" only applies to their design.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Remember, ONLY Armalite makes an AR-10, everything else is a .308 AR variant. I don't mean to say that Armalite is the only good .308 AR out there, but the term "AR-10" only applies to their design.
    Very true, and only Kleenex brand makes Kleenex®. Everything else is just facial tissues...

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    It is important to note the differences, especially if your building it - there are parts interchangeability issues if you don't pay attention.

Top Bottom