• Total voters

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Suppressors = Hearing Protection Safety Equipment
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Earth
    Happy New Year Texas Gun Talkers!

Recently, I became interested in the Walther PDP-F (3.5” barrel version) after seeing so many positive reviews online and the praise that the Walther brand received from a gun range employee. My smaller hands seemed like a good fit for the PDP-F too. When I found one at a local range, I had to try it and compare it to my slightly modified Glock 43X MOS.

Ergonomics:
    The PDP-F’s grip shape felt great for my hands, especially with the wider base (felt like a smooth magwell @ the grip bottom). The PDP-F’s grip curves filled the palm area of my hand better than the Glock 43x grip’s flat surface. Although the Shield Arms magwell combined with the Talon Pro grip tape improved my purchase on the 43x a lot (night and day difference), the Walther still felt like a slightly better naturally-fitting grip for both my hands. The Walther’s grip is wider than the Glock without being too wide (for me).

The ergonomic grip of the Walther PDP-F is quickly ruined when I felt the overly fat, tall and blocky-shaped slide. I couldn’t help but ask myself?: “Was this blocky, unnecessarily-wide slide even made for this awesome gripping gun? Did Walther stop the engineering work of the PDP-F after the grip design was complete?”

Seriously, it feels like the fat and chunky slide does not belong on the PDP-F. Even the rail area of the frame felt wider than it needed to be.

Trigger Feel:
    Dry firing the trigger, it’s a slightly crisper and more distinct trigger break compared to my 43x, but not by much. The Glock has more trigger “take up” than the Walther. However, my trigger mods lightened and smoothed out the overall trigger pull making it more predictable and easier to shoot consistent groups compared to the stock 43x. My 43x trigger consists of a custom polish job (of the stock Glock trigger bar by me) that includes rounding of the crucifix contact areas, a Ghost Edge connector, and an aluminum Serpico trigger shoe. This is a noticeable improvement over the stock Glock trigger, but not a huge difference like a customized Timney trigger could make.

Shooting Impressions:
    Using 124 grain 9mm ammo, I thought…”Holy snappy batman!” The Walther PDP-F had considerably more muzzle flip and was a snappier shooter even with its awesome grip. Despite the PDP-F’s better grip ergonomics and a slightly crisper trigger break, it was not an impressive shooter (for my hands) by any means. My Glock 43x with the DPM Recoil reduction guide-rod assembly and modified ~$45 Ebay compensator was easier to shoot more consistent groups.

To make sure this wasn’t my own bias, I asked the gun range’s safety officer to shoot both guns and he came to the same conclusion, he liked the 43x’s smoother and softer shooting performance better. It was easier to shoot this Glock 43x accurately even when rapid firing.

Both guns are quite jumpy during rapid fire, but this Glock 43x felt more controllable and easier to hit that 2nd and 3rd follow up shot. In my experience, Glocks, especially these slim line models (43x and 48), feel like they vibrate when shooting fast, so I was hoping the PDP-F would be more stable. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. The Walther felt like it wanted to jump out of your hands even with proper two-thumbs-forward grip. I observed this same phenomenon when the range safety officer shot the PDP-F too.

If anyone makes a threaded barrel, compensator, trigger upgrade, and recoil reduction guide rod assembly (dpm?) for the Walther PDP-F, I’m interested to see how much it will improve its shooting performance. So far, it’s sad to say I’m not impressed.

If you shot the 3.5” Walther PDP-F, what was your shooting experience like?
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 2702FF29-6D34-4B50-965B-33DC2FC53BD3.jpeg
      2702FF29-6D34-4B50-965B-33DC2FC53BD3.jpeg
      476.1 KB · Views: 141
    • C9CCC6AB-907F-4A1B-9440-D1EE4898437E.jpeg
      C9CCC6AB-907F-4A1B-9440-D1EE4898437E.jpeg
      531.2 KB · Views: 152
    Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The PDP-F is better compared to the G26 in size and thickness. It's not a micro-compact 9mm.

Surprised to hear about the snappiness. None of the others who have shot it have mentioned that. Have you tried comparing it to a regular PDP?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Nice rundown. Looking at the PDP-F myself although more at the 4” model. I am playing around with the idea of another platform other than Glock just for something different. I do like Glocks, just thinking of a second line.

Appreciate your taking the time to write this up.

Take care,

Shadowman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2019
    Texas
    Not really a fair comparison with the glock having a compensator and custom recoil spring. If you add enough custom parts to a glock you can probabIy make it feel like a better shooter than any out of the box handgun.
    I have a PDP Compact 4" and it is light years ahead of any glock I have shot.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Ummmmm. So a gun with a comp has less recoil and muzzle rise than one without? I’m guessing that is more of an affirmation of comp performance than anything else.

Agree with you on the aesthetics of the PDP. That entire line seems to be top heavy to me.

Might want to compare stock gun to stock gun. However, I’m not sure the aftermarket is there for the PDP to customize it like the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    These two guns compete in drastically different roles.

The PDP pistols are not microcompact / subcompact guns - even the 3.5 inch barrel PDP-F is better compared to the Glock 19, not the 26, definitely not the 43X.

One is a compact frame true double stack duty pistol (PDP = Performance DUTY Pistol) - while the other is a concealed carry gun. The F series PDP were designed for smaller statured / smaller handed shooters, and those with lower grip strength. Recoil spring is 20% lighter than the original PDP or PPQ, the striker was redesigned on the PDP-F, and the ergonomics were changed on the grip of the gun to reduce trigger pull and overall grip circumferance to accomodate smaller hands.

The PDP-F 4" is a very good head to head competitor with the Glock 19 - the only place Glocks beat the PDP is in overall thickness. The PDP guns are chonky. No ifs, ands, or butts. The slides are just chonkmungus. Does the thickness make it less than ideal for concealed carry roles? For deep carry, yes, for average EDC? Not really, at least not on my body. Does it matter for a duty gun? Nope. More shit on the belt is fatter than the gun, and if the extra 1/8th of an inch of slide width means you can't fit in the seat of your patrol car - fuckin put down the donuts and pick up some iron cuz you're too damn fat.

My PDP Compact 4 inch weighed less loaded than my M&P compact, with superior ergonomics.

Both are good guns. My wife bought herself a Glock 43X a couple months ago. I've carried it some to see how I like them. Personally - I much prefer the way the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield shoots, and if it werent for the fact that she's running a Glock 48 holster (with the extra muzzle length) I think the Shield would carry better too.

We're blessed with a lot of good guns to pick from these days.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    My wife went through a few pistols (Sig's, Glock's, S&W's) before deciding that my PPQ M2 was hers.

I picked up another PPQ M2 for myself and then a PDP. I prefer the trigger on the PPQ, but the slide on the PDP. With that said, I have no plans to get rid of either.

Top Bottom