Target Sports

Wal-Mart selling evil semi auto assault weapon ammo again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    A few months back, like 6 probably, I was at walmart buying some random gun stuff (ear protection, gun soft case), and I noticed that they didn't have any ammo that is commonly fed through the evil assault weapons we so much adore.

There was an absence of .223, 7.62x39, and maybe more. Now I went to walmart again today to buy a lock and I stopped by and noticed they were selling multiple brands of 7.62x39. I think they only had one brand of .223, and that was winchester 45 gr varmint round, which is useless for my 1:7 twist AR.

Anyways, they had TulAmmo AND Ulyanovsk. For those who don't know, Ulyanovsk is pretty cheap ammo you can buy for $3.59 per 20 rounds through cheaperThanDirt.

So anyways, has anyone noticed the absence and return of such ammo at their local walmart? Why did they even stop at one point? Is this a worldwide walmart thing or just varied by your local wallyworld?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    There are a lot of folks that cruise walmarts looking for ammo and then take it to the local gunshow to sell at a profit. That may be what your seeing. Walmart also has a bad habit of not keeping large stocks of ammo. Each store may have say 100,000 rounds of 5.56 which sounds like a lot but it's only a day of shooting for some people.

oneBADDz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Lubbock
    I frequent two of my local walmarts, one has both .223 and 7.62x39 non-stop and they have for quite some time, but the other rarely has either one.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Walmarts around me have regularly had .223 and 7.62x39. Their prices on rifle ammo aren't as good as I can find online, tho. I usually just pick up pistol ammo from Walmart.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Both Walmarts I frequent have had both .223 and 7.62 from when I started looking which was about a couple month ago (just got my first AK a couple weeks ago) but last week one of the Walmart's ammo cases was completely empty and I asked an employee about it and he mumbled something about it going to be like that for at least a week. Not sure what that meant and didn't pursue it because I was having a hard time communicating with him and he didn't seem too interested in explaining it. So the same day I go to the other Walmart and the case has plenty of everything that I'm interested in; .45, .40 and 7.62x39. I didn't inquire about any changes because there was again, some difficulty communicating but a couple days later I go back and it's completely empty. I haven't been back since but will check soon.

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    It's been that way since our Laughing Stock in Chief got elected, and I mean before he was sworn in. Remember the run on ammo right after election day? Walmart has a certain quantity of ammo ordered by each store, each week (or month, whatever the case may be) and when that supply is exhausted, they are out until the next shipment comes in from the distribution center (one of which happens to be right here in my town). When you have a guy go in and buy all of the .223 they have on the shelves, they're going to be out for a while. I think it just so happens that .223 and 7.62X39 are rounds that are bought and used in high volume, hell, I can go through a few hundred rounds of .223 in a matter of minutes, that's why I don't reload it for my AR, I'd spend hours loading it all up on my single stage press, and it would be gone in seconds. So, if you're going to shoot a semi auto tactical type rifle, and you're going to double tap or do rapid fire drills (and who doesn't), you're going to buy your ammo for that weapon in large quantities. Walmart can't order enough ammo every week to have a sufficient amount all the time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Ok, so I checked back today and all was normal. They had pretty much everything and are now carrying CLP which they haven't before. They used to only have Rem oil but now they carry both.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Walmart has always been lacking on the stuff I actually want. It's weird because I never even saw labels on empty shelves for where this ammo would be.

oneBADDz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Lubbock
    Walmart has always been lacking on the stuff I actually want. It's weird because I never even saw labels on empty shelves for where this ammo would be.

If they are out of it at my local walmarts they remove the tags. The price is different virtually every other time they get it in, an I was told they remove the tags to ensure the price is updated with each new shipment.

Top Bottom