• 1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Understood. I hope you also understand that letting your personal opinions hold sway over the way you approach a subject can mitigate strongly against achieving competence.

In the instant case, your personal opinions simply don't matter. If you want to be a competent LTC instructor, you have to understand the use cases for and be minimally competent with revolvers. Period. Personal opinion can dictate what equipment you use for your own purposes but it can't change the fact that an LTC instructor who doesn't know his or her way around revolvers is not competent to be an LTC instructor. As the smallest of examples and again in the instant case, when you're teaching LTC classes sometime in the future and you have students show up with 5-shot revolvers, you have to appreciate how that will impact the way you run the firing line.

I don't know you so this isn't directed at you personally. Don't take it that way. But in my experience, one easy way to tell the difference between a high-speed, low-drag poser and a competent pistol instructor is to hand them a revolver and watch them use it.
    Ben, there are some people that want to reinvent the wheel, to conform to what they believe.
    Military Camp

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Anyone know what the shooting requirements are? I know 90%
    and I know with a semi and revolver over 22

but how many rounds at what distance, in what size circle? In what time limit?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone know what the shooting requirements are? I know 90%
    and I know with a semi and revolver over 22

but how many rounds at what distance, in what size circle? In what time limit?
    • The handgun must be.32 caliber or larger, not "over .22". So, theoretically, leave your .30 Luger at home.
    • The test is 50 shots at timed intervals at a B-27 target at 3, 7 and 15 yards.
    • You must demonstrate safe gun handling and familiarity with loading and safety procedures.
    • There are 20 shots at 3 yards, 20 shots at 7 yards and 10 shots at 15 yards.
    • Shots in the 8-ring or better score 5 points, 7 ring is 4 points, and anywhere else in the silhouette 3 points. Shots outside the silhouette, off target, or unfired earn zero.
    • You already know instructors must score 90 percent out of a possible perfect score of 250. I hope no one at an instructor class ever has a problem with that.
    • The actual shot strings are:
      • 3 yards
        • 1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
        • 2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
        • 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
      • 7 yards
        • 2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
        • 3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
        • 1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
        • 5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time
      • 15 yards
        • 2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
        • 3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    • The handgun must be.32 caliber or larger, not "over .22". So, theoretically, leave your .30 Luger at home.
    • The test is 50 shots at timed intervals at a B-27 target at 3, 7 and 15 yards.
    • You must demonstrate safe gun handling and familiarity with loading and safety procedures.
    • Shots in the 8-ring or better score 5 points, 7 ring is 4 points, and anywhere else in the silhouette 3 points. Shots outside the silhouette, off target, or unfired earn zero.
    • You already know instructors must score 90 percent out of a possible perfect score of 250. I hope no one at an instructor class ever has a problem with that.
      • 3 yards
      • 7 yards
      • 15 yards
    I am assuming you do that twice. Once with a revolver and once with a semi?

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
      • 3 yards
      • 7 yards
      • 15 yards

The only one that concerns me is the 15 yards. I’d near have to get a perfect score on 3 and 7. which Isn’t to hard. Not worried about my semi. More so with my revolver, as my only choice is either 45 colt in my ruger super red hawk (454) 7.5” barrel, or my SA colt replica of a 45 colt. Or my 100+ yo US Army 1917 in 45acp.

What sucks is the ammo prices and shortage right now. It’s dang near impossible to find 45 Colt. I noted they don’t allow reloads either. Pretty sure they won’t allow even commercial black powder loads either.

Once I get a date, I will get out and practice. I have about 1200 rounds of both 45acp and 45 colt to practice with. Just don’t like the thought of so many rounds going through a 100 HP revolver even though it’s in near mint condition.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Maximum scoring is the 10 ring...and the 9...and the 8...on a B-27. That is a 18" by 10" zone.

Scoring a possible using the little example target in the top corner is much more difficult, but fun for instructors around my range after the students leave.

Top Bottom