• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I know there are a lot of fans of the Vortex Viper line and the reviews for glass quality, turret adjustments, and eye box are all very good.

Trijicon is the same way (maybe slightly more so).

Using this scope for a DMR-type rifle (AR308, 18").Which one would you pick?

Vortex_Viper.jpg
    trijicon.jpg
    Military Camp

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    What's your price on em?

I can get the Trijicon new for about $1200 out the door.
    The Vortex about $850 out the door.

I don't really care about price, more about which is going to be the better optic, even if the differences are miniscule.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Are you a MOA or mil shooter?

I have more experience with mil-dot since I own an Accupoint on one of my AR setups, and probably have put the most rounds through that rifle.

BUT, I also have experience with MOA measurements from a Vortex Strike Eagle setup I have and still use. I know, a much lower quality optic. (sorry if that doesn't help)

If I had to choose, I'd prefer mil-dot, but I'm not against using some BDC calculator or something similar if the scope options, clarity, etc are better.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have more experience with mil-dot since I own an Accupoint on one of my AR setups, and probably have put the most rounds through that rifle.

BUT, I also have experience with MOA measurements from a Vortex Strike Eagle setup I have and still use. I know, a much lower quality optic. (sorry if that doesn't help)

If I had to choose, I'd prefer mil-dot, but I'm not against using some BDC calculator or something similar if the scope options, clarity, etc are better.

Unless Trijicon has changed, you can get the MRAD reticle, but you have to do custom turrets to MRAD adjustments. Not even kidding. IIRC, you had to step up to the CX to get mrad/mrad.

Personally, I tell folks to chose one system and stick with it if you’re going to try to have any type of consistency across multiple platforms. If not, then try for something like an ACSS reticle so you’re not dialing on multiple base systems.

*typos corrected.

Last edited:

Squanchy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2022
    Houston, Tx
    i havent been impressed with vortex glass. id pick the Trijicon, but honestly there are some slick scopes in this price range. Ive been a huge fan of the FFP Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes. Japanese glass great reticule options, zero stops, lowlight did some serious torture testing on them over at SH and they got beat to shit and always held true. ive had issues with vortex scopes losing zero pretty easily out in the bush banging around on hunts. FFP may not be for everyone though. im used to quick ranging with them and almost all my experience with with FFP reticules so im biased.

Top Bottom