• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Today I attended a Tactical Pistol class at a neighboring agency. I like taking courses here because their firearms instructors not only are competitive shooters but they actively seek out current and relevant training with other instructors to bring the best training back to their agency. This is an anomaly in LE firearms training.

Todays class consisted of us starting out with a basic set of 10 timed drills cold with no warm up or dryfire.

1 round from the holster - 1.75 seconds
    1 round Tap / Rack from the ready position - 3 seconds
    1 round from combat ready position - 1 second
    2 rounds from combat ready position - 1.5 seconds
    1 round from low ready - 1 second
    1 round from position Sul - 1 second
    6 rounds to the body from any ready position - 2.5 seconds

(Last three drills are from a ready position - shooters personal choice but must be consistent for all three drills)
    4 rounds to two separate targets, two to first target, two to second target - 3 seconds
    4 rounds, two rounds combat reload with two more rounds to the body - 3.5 seconds
    4 rounds, two rounds tac reload with two more to the body - 6 seconds

Nothing groundbreaking here, but its an easy set of standards from which you can track times and measure improvement at the beginning and end of class. Each student had to perform all ten drills on the timer in front of the instructors and everyone else on the line. An assistant instructor recorded the times for each drill and each student received a printout of the beginning and ending times for the entire class. I really like this approach as the student and instructor can easily measure progress and the student has data points to take home with them for their personal training. In most classes it's up to the student to record their own times but having an AI do it and receiving the printout at the end of class leave more time for the student to focus on absorbing the content rather than furiously jotting down notes and times.

Each drill was broken down for students to improve by utilizing economy of motion. Eliminating unnecessary movement to reduce shot time and get your gun up and on target faster and making accurate hits.

But the biggest takeaway from this course is the personalized analysis of every student on video in the classroom. I found this to be absolutely invaluable to analyzing your performance on the range. The instructors used a tool called Coach's Eye which available from the app store on your phone. It allows you time yourself from first point of movement and slow down frame by frame with no degradation in video quality. It works so well that in one frame of another students video you could see the bullet exiting the barrel in slow motion.

Instructors had the ability to zoom in and observe your trigger control, grip and recoil management. An eye opening moment was when I actually was able to see what pre-ignition push looks like. Some people might refer to it as flinching or anticipating the shot. In this shooters case he altered his grip as he slapped the trigger causing the muzzle to dip just prior to firing. It was clearly evident on the video.

I don't consider myself a firearms instructor but I have helped teach a few classes at my agency at the divisional level to keep our officers proficient between qualifications. One of the biggest hurdles to diagnosing students shooting errors is being able to see fast enough. My eye simply cannot see fast enough to detect that the student is minutely altering their grip in recoil or on the draw and thus effecting shot placement. Video analysis with this tool makes it much so easier to diagnose shooters.

I'm posting a video of an analysis of a female shooter in the class. You can easily see that even though she is right handed she is left eye dominant which has its own issues. Her draw is hampered in the video due to the height of her duty holster. She has to bring the gun up very high, hyper extending her elbow for the gun to clear the holster.

I don't have any connection to the creators of the app. Having been to many shooting classes this was the first time I've seen a tool like this used in firearms instruction. I thought it was pretty cool and I'll download a copy for my personal use. The audio is a bit low in the link but you'll be able to hear the instructors commentary.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That’s pretty slick. Kind of reminds me of the stuff Rob Latham diagnoses with his eye and that’s a pretty rare bird.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom