• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    The old feller that got me into reloading put it to me this way.
    If you use a vibratory tumbler you are still going to have to clean primer pockets some of the cases.
    These new pin tumblers do that for you on all of them in a fraction of the time.
    The old feller showed me how to clean primer pockets.
    I vaguely remember that learning experience.

Have used the rotary pin tumblers on rifle cartridges for years with great results.
    With the lower batch numbers the drying was not really an issue.

Now doing pistol cartridges in large quantities and while the pin tumbler is very effective and cleans to expectations the drying aspect is very time consuming.

Thus my questions.
    I have never used any of the vibratory tumblers and would like to know approximate run time for an appropriately sized batch?
    These would all be once fired brass. No range pickups.

Corn cob:
    Seems to be most popular!

Walnut hull:
    For the hard to clean stuff?

TIA

Last edited:

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I use fine walnut bought from harbor freight. I add a little NU-FINISH car polish and a splash or two of odorless mineral spirits and that seems to greatly reduce the dust and gets the cases sparkling clean. As an example I can load 300-400 9mm in the tumbler for 3-4 hours and they are clean as new. i have the tumbler on a cheap amazon timer and just let them run out in the garage.
    Does not clean the insides real good but i don’t think that is required for range ammo. I de-prime after tumbling on the Dillon 550. I have never cleaned primer pockets on handgun ammo.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I usually run small batches of cases. About 50 pistol cases, or about 25 rifle cases at a time.

Putting a little bit of some type of polish seems to keep the dust down, and will help shine the cases.

I also use a mix of corn cob and walnut media in my tumbler. Running for about two to three hours does a good job for me.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I read on a different forum where they are using "used" dryer sheets to control the dust. I have not personally tried this, just thought I'd pass it along.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I use a food dehydrator to dry brass. Makes life easy. Once brass is clean, i dump it into a towel to knock most the water off then into the dehydrator it goes for 2 hrs @ 150 degrees.

Fishin4guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    Rockport
    I use a food dehydrator to dry brass. Makes life easy. Once brass is clean, i dump it into a towel to knock most the water off then into the dehydrator it goes for 2 hrs @ 150 degrees.

What EZ-E said. I wet tumble for about an hour and a half. Rinse and separate the pins. Then into a dehydrator for about another hour and a half.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    I've been running corn cob since I started, I run smaller batches, like about 50 - 100 cases, never more than about 3 hours, although I will admit, longer makes them shinier. I sort calibers before and only tumble 45s with 45s. 38s and 357 together, 9mm and 380 acp together, etc. Makes the sifting and sorting after easier.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Heres my set up for tumbling.
    The basket is great for separating pins. Then just use the Frankford magnet to pick up the pins & put them back in the pvc tube.

Ive got 15lbs of pins in the tumbler & can load about 1000 9mm or about 500 5.56. It takes about 1.5 hrs to get the brass & pockets clean. I use a few drops of Dawn & a .45 case of Lemi Shine.

20200422_173221.jpg

20200322_124841.jpg

Attachments

• 20200422_173221.jpg
      20200422_173221.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 406
    • 20200322_124841.jpg
      20200322_124841.jpg
      945.3 KB · Views: 489
    Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Wait just a minute.. you guys clean the cases before reloading them?...lol

I use a corncobb/walnut mixture and and I also use a wet as pin tumbler
    Generally I'll dry clean pistols cases and wet tumble rifle

I hardly ever clean the primer pocket on a pistol case..

Top Bottom