• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Renewing the wife's DL. So, in addition to the DL form 43 that we filled out at home, we'll be bringing along her birth certificate, our marriage license, social security card, medicare card, and military dependent ID card. Hopefully we have everything covered. No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Made an appointment online for 9 am at the DPS Mega center in Georgetown.

After action report to follow.
    You forgot the recent utility bill showing your current address.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It went amazingly smooth. Checked in at 8:46 am. They called our number in less than 10 minutes. By 9:04, we were done and out the door. When leaving, I stopped at a table outside with an Engage Texas banner. Asked what that was about and they said they were forming a petition to preserve the 2nd amendment. Hmm, sad that we need a petition for that. And back home by 9:40.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It went amazingly smooth. Checked in at 8:46 am. They called our number in less than 10 minutes. By 9:04, we were done and out the door. When leaving, I stopped at a table outside with an Engage Texas banner. Asked what that was about and they said they were forming a petition to preserve the 2nd amendment. Hmm, sad that we need a petition for that. And back home by 9:40.
    Did you already have a real ID compliant DL with a star on it? If so what docs did they require for the renewal? Just a pic update trip or did you need all the docs again?

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    4 hours I waited to renew mine about 9 months ago. Had to stand the whole time. The DMV was full. I’m shocked this is the best they can do. Everyone there was uneasy and agitated. Just total nutz.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I did mine in Sweetwater last time.
    Me and the gal at the counter were the only people there.
    I think she was glad to have someone to talk to.
    I happened to be travelling by and saw the empty parking lot.

ie, I didn't have all that paperwork with me, but I got a star.
    Go figure.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Did you already have a real ID compliant DL with a star on it? If so what docs did they require for the renewal? Just a pic update trip or did you need all the docs again?
    Neither my wife nor I had the REAL ID compliant before, as it's been six years since last renewal. That was before the REAL ID compliant requirement. In the end, all either of us needed to show was a birth certificate. Probably because we are life long residents of Texas. You may need other items if you are getting a Texas license for the first time.

They just need to see the birth certificate or a passport if you don't already have a REAL ID. You only need to show proof of citizenship once.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I did mine in Sweetwater last time.
    Me and the gal at the counter were the only people there.
    I think she was glad to have someone to talk to.
    I happened to be travelling by and saw the empty parking lot.

ie, I didn't have all that paperwork with me, but I got a star.
    Go figure.
    Well the parking lot was pretty darn full when we got there this morning. Way more cars than there were people inside. Probably 150 - 200 cars. I guesstimate there was about 35 folks already seated when we arrived. Most of them did not have an appointment. Unfortunately, only the mega centers allow making an appointment online.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Mission accomplished.

McKinney, TX
    Six (6) hours total; five hours waiting/standing outside in line (avg temp w breeze ~ 45-deg F); one hour inside seated (with crying/screaming baby one row behind me... but at least it was warm) waiting to be processed. Average folks waiting in line 60 - 90. Lowest line count was around 2 pm. However, processing seemed like it was faster during the morning hours - line moved much slower after the lunch hour.

Lesson learned: renew months earlier during warmer weather - don’t wait until birth month!

The call ahead appointment feature, where they text you with appointment time {not the “Online” scheduling service of the mega-centers} doesn’t work well for McKinney. It’s very problematic [read: lucky] if you get through and can be successful for that day.... but, it’s obviously still worth trying (considering, the alternative is spending all day at the DPS).

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    What was checked for my “renewal” license:
    Checked eye vision test - which was a concern for me, with my medical/eye issues but passed & color blindness check. Took new DL photo and scanned both thumb prints. They scanned my DD214, original birth certificate and passport (I had brought both) and the Texas renewal form DL-43. And paid $25 - they preferred credit card & they don’t charge a cc premium.

Top Bottom