• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    OK, time to tell my (long) story (short)...

As some of you may remember, I picked up a 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI up in Austin back in October after my Toyota was sideswiped by a semi going through an intersection and totaled.

Well, during the lull between the two snowstorms here in SA in February, my son and I went for a drive in it as the roads were clear and mostly dry.

The next day, after sweeping the snow from the second storm off it, I couldn't get it to start; so the following Saturday I had it towed to the dealership.

Turned out the engine had hydrolocked, and needed to be replaced! :eek:

Luckily, the car is still under warranty thanks to DieselGate, and after some wrangling with the dealership and VW of America, I finally got them to cover it. I had some other minor warranty work scheduled, so they took care of that as well. I paid to replace the timing belt and water pump while the motor was being fixed as I was only charged for parts and not labor.

It took two-and-a-half months to finish, but I got it back last month and it's been running like a champ ever since! The dealership eventually figured out a flap to prevent water getting into the turbo intercooler had failed, causing ice to form and the engine to hydrolock. Luckily that happened in my driveway and not on the road someplace! I was also lucky as I found a fellow Sportwagen TDI owner in Washington, DC who had the same issue covered under warranty!
    ARJ Defense ad

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom