• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got the Console Vault brand. It’s the very same one you can option as a Ford genuine accessory, only it does not have the Ford logo. Installs into the factory console. They make them for most makes trucks and SUVs and some cars too and aren’t that difficult to install. I opted for a single tumbler, but you can get double tumblers as well. Set your own code and done. I’m very happy with it and I can use the full space inside my console. The only limiting factor is that the opening is smaller, but my wife can still stuff her purse through View attachment 355139
    >
    Thanks; I’d heard that you had a nice set-up.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have one of these under my backseat where I can reach back and enter the code while driving.

Amazon product ASIN B001C601KA
    My only complaint is, I thought it was broke a couple weeks ago. It kept telling me I was entering the wrong code and locking me out. I used the key to unlock it, and it wouldn’t let me reset the code. I really felt stupid when everything went back to normal when I changed the battery. I guess 3-1/2 years on the 9 volt battery was really pushing it.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Time is all that’s needed. Think about this: you’re vehicle is only so secure…then one of y’all buys a safe on Amazon to save money or a “high end” website. Burglar already got his jiggler key or rake set and done. Only a few minutes have passed.
    Most car burglars are opportunists (aka lazy). They walk through neighborhoods checking handles for unlocked doors then rummage, or they peer in and smash and grab if they see something worth the risk.

A targeted burglary is pretty uncommon, but does happen. You kinda give away what might be in the car when they see gun stickers etc. You wouldn't put a sticker on your car saying "I just withdrew hundreds of dollars from my bank and may have forgotten to bring it in" so why put a gun related sticker on there?

In a burglary, speed is key to getting away. The common tools are flat-bladed screw drivers, and hammers (or rocks), I don't recall ever finding power tools on a car burglar. Your best bet is to:
    1- Never leave the gun in the car (can't steal what isn't there).

2- Put it in a hidden lockbox (can't steal what you can't find).

A small lockbox under the seat (not on the floor, but tucked up under the cushions/frame) or up under the dash would be my chosen place to put one. I'd use a simple lock, the security in my eyes is in being hidden and in being generally awkward to attack. Nothing is 100% secure, but like driving safely and wearing your seat belt and having airbags, a few simple things can make big changes in outcomes. I don't need the 5-point, 3" harness, HANS and a roll-cage equivalent of a lock box, I would just want a few layers of security that sequentially improve the odds significantly.

(If the burglar can see the lockbox, is the gun both there and not there until they open it and it is there or it is not there?)

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The ones that are tied with a cable can be opened easily. There are multiple YouTube videos on that.

I have a console safe in the F-150. When I had a Chevy pickup, the console wasn't set up for that, but I had one under the back seat that was bolted to the floor. They're not made of thick metal, but they will definitely slow down someone who wants to get into it.

I see a cool new one advertised. It replaces the headrest. Of course, someone could pull it out and walk off with it, but it would be pretty hard to know that it was a safe.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got the Console Vault brand. It’s the very same one you can option as a Ford genuine accessory, only it does not have the Ford logo. Installs into the factory console. They make them for most makes trucks and SUVs and some cars too and aren’t that difficult to install. I opted for a single tumbler, but you can get double tumblers as well. Set your own code and done. I’m very happy with it and I can use the full space inside my console. The only limiting factor is that the opening is smaller, but my wife can still stuff her purse through View attachment 355139
    Gee, my Wife’s purse is the size of a F-150, and she carries TWO of them !

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most car burglars are opportunists (aka lazy). They walk through neighborhoods checking handles for unlocked doors then rummage, or they peer in and smash and grab if they see something worth the risk.

A targeted burglary is pretty uncommon, but does happen. You kinda give away what might be in the car when they see gun stickers etc. You wouldn't put a sticker on your car saying "I just withdrew hundreds of dollars from my bank and may have forgotten to bring it in" so why put a gun related sticker on there?

In a burglary, speed is key to getting away. The common tools are flat-bladed screw drivers, and hammers (or rocks), I don't recall ever finding power tools on a car burglar. Your best bet is to:

A small lockbox under the seat (not on the floor, but tucked up under the cushions/frame) or up under the dash would be my chosen place to put one. I'd use a simple lock, the security in my eyes is in being hidden and in being generally awkward to attack. Nothing is 100% secure, but like driving safely and wearing your seat belt and having airbags, a few simple things can make big changes in outcomes. I don't need the 5-point, 3" harness, HANS and a roll-cage equivalent of a lock box, I would just want a few layers of security that sequentially improve the odds significantly.

(If the burglar can see the lockbox, is the gun both there and not there until they open it and it is there or it is not there?)

>

”1- Never leave the gun in the car (can't steal what isn't there).”

Of course, but our state & national legisltures have added all sorts of “forbidden places” into our Law(s), which forces us non-LEO Citizens to sometimes have to part from our weapon.

For instance, our Post Office, or the Sheriff’s Office. . . . .

So, we need some devices to limit thieves access.

Family members have had two of my pistols stolen through their negligence, I don’t want a repeat.

leVieux

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    >

”1- Never leave the gun in the car (can't steal what isn't there).”

Of course, but our state & national legisltures have added all sorts of “forbidden places” into our Law(s), which forces us non-LEO Citizens to sometimes have to part from our weapon.

For instance, our Post Office, or the Sheriff’s Office. . . . .

So, we need some devices to limit thieves access.

Family members have had two of my pistols stolen through their negligence, I don’t want a repeat.

leVieux
    At least you got new guns out of the deal right? I mean, they did replace them and you are whole again?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom