• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    There really isn't any need to seal and pull a vacuum on ammo, unless you are storing in under some sort of wet conditions.

There has been mucho mil-surp ammo that was stored in cool dry locations for decades that still works just like it did when manufactured.

Just repacked thousands of rounds of this into 50 cal ammo cans plus a desiccant bag I saved from other stuff. Easier to handle than a giant wooden crate.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just repacked thousands of rounds of this into 50 cal ammo cans plus a desiccant bag I saved from other stuff. Easier to handle than a giant wooden crate.

If the seal on the ammo can isn't damaged, you can keep ammo for many years in them. They were designed for the military for some pretty bad environments and climates.

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball

Don't forget to "recharge" the desiccant from time to time. It can only hold so much moisture.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Bought the cans from Walmart when they were on sale for $8. Seem to work as designed and seal in place. Changing the desiccant shouldn't be much of an issue if the seal works. With no air exchange no more moisture can get in and the desiccant should remove what is there and hold it. Just my opinion.

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
    Unless the seal is damaged, or compromised, there should be no reason to have to "recharge" the desiccant. I used old ammo cans without any desiccant and never had any issues with moisture.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The post I was responding to mentioned reusing desiccant bags "saved from other stuff". If the desiccant is sitting around in the open air for a while, it will pick up moisture and won't do any good drying out a sealed container. As you point out, if the seals are good, you don't need to worry about recharging the dessicant -- as long as the desiccant is in good shape to begin with.

JamesFinTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2020
    Been using a vacuum sealer for years.

Found a deer shoulder from 2014 in the bottom of my freezer last year.

Vacuum bag was intact and the shoulder was just fine. Zero freezer burn and tasted great.

5 year old meat that was stored like you did is impressive.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Maybe I wasn't clear. The post I was responding to mentioned reusing desiccant bags "saved from other stuff". If the desiccant is sitting around in the open air for a while, it will pick up moisture and won't do any good drying out a sealed container. As you point out, if the seals are good, you don't need to worry about recharging the dessicant -- as long as the desiccant is in good shape to begin with.

You are correct in what you say. But I save these and plan on reusing them. I don't leave them in the garage on a shelf in the open air. Dried and sealed in a jar until reuse.

Time On Target

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2016
    I bought the vacuum sealer to store ammo in some cases ammo that I bought bulk and figured out oh no it is corrosive the vacuum per all studies will keep any degradation down in that ammo for at least 5-10 years. Still using it up first, from there I have gone to vacuum packing seeds for storage in my freezer, vacuum packing flour and corn meal which also keeps out pests. I have now vacuum packed a bunch of steaks, burger, and chops going into the freezer and will see how that works. Got a part of a cow that my daughter and her family and some of her in laws all went in on.

Top Bottom