• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    Armed teacher in Utah stops attempted kidnapping (fox8.com)

41 yo man attempts to take 11 yo girl playing outside school during recess. Teacher intervenes, distracts man, girl gets away, teacher shepherds all the kids on the playground into the school. 41 yo man starts pounding on windows trying to get in, teacher (not sure if same teacher as on the playground) draws handgun, holds 41 yo for police.

As I understand it, a teacher or anyone else) with a Utah standard license to carry in can carry at K-12 schools and colleges/universities. No school board or administration permission required.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    seldom do you see reports of the good guy with a gun, and I suspect this probably happens quite often, though we don’t hear about it. Maybe local news would cover it, but big media would bury it I’m glad it turned out well for the little girl.

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    If you do an internet search for armed teacher Ogden kidnap you will get dozens of copies of this story, but they are all lower level news outlets, local media outlets except maybe for MSN and Newsweek. None of the big boys and girls tho.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    3iS8.gif

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Interesting discrepancy....

41 yo man starts pounding on windows trying to get in, teacher (not sure if same teacher as on the playground) draws handgun, holds 41 yo for police.

The article and pictured police report both say something a bit different, but still positive. The employee didn't hold the suspect for the police, but held OFF the suspect (while calling 911) until police arrived.

The employee did well. So did the other student who tried to prevent the kidnapping and intervened before the employee.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I know I'm old, but: We actually had guns at school, teachers, too. Nothing exciting ever happened.

Sigh. . . . . . .

leVieux

Graduated in 79
    3 out of 4 pick ups in the school lot had rifle racks with rifles in um.
    No one ever shot up the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Graduated in 79
    3 out of 4 pick ups in the school lot had rifle racks with rifles in um.
    No one ever shot up the place.

Us, too; but at our place it was mostly shotguns or .22's. On occasion, someone would take a pistol into the classroom, always "unloaded"; usually to show. One Teacher had recently been an USAF Officer-Captain in the Air Police, and carried a 1911 Colt .45. He was single and very handsome; we'd tease that the .45 was to protect him from all the single Lady Teachers. Nothing ever happened, everyone was calm, we had been reared to respect others and to be extremely careful handling firearms. All of us. We Boys were expected to carry pocket knives, and they had better be SHARP. Lady Teachers would sometimes ask to borrow one for a task. Just like "Mayberry", but REAL LIFE !
    leVieux

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Us, too; but at our place it was mostly shotguns or .22's. On occasion, someone would take a pistol into the classroom, always "unloaded"; usually to show. One Teacher had recently been an USAF Officer-Captain in the Air Police, and carried a 1911 Colt .45. He was single and very handsome; we'd tease that the .45 was to protect him from all the single Lady Teachers. Nothing ever happened, everyone was calm, we had been reared to respect others and to be extremely careful handling firearms. All of us. We Boys were expected to carry pocket knives, and they had better be SHARP. Lady Teachers would sometimes ask to borrow one for a task. Just like "Mayberry", but REAL LIFE !
    leVieux

Seems along the way the mass population has become overly sissified either by chance or by design.

Personally I blame computers and the intersweb for alot of it.

We had to go outside and find things to do not set in front of a screen be it TV or. Comp.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    And this is why we need armed persons in schools. If these jack wagons start realizing, hey I might get shot, school shootings and other crimes will start going way down. Good for Utah for having this, wish more states enacted it.

It requires special training, but there lots of them in Texas.

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    There is. And it’s extensive. And it occurs after they get their LTC.
    I haven't checked the numbers in awhile, but last time I did (preCovigedden I think) there were over 300 Texas schools, out of 1227 ISDs and charters, that had some form of armed staff. Not police officers or "School Resource Officers" or private guards, but teachers/staff/administrators that had an LTC and were designated in writing by the school board as being authorized to carry on school property. In the following I am going to use the term "armed teachers" to distinguish from people who are actually primarily security personnel, like cops assigned to schools or school police department officers, or hired private security guards. The 300+ schools that have armed teachers are largely rural districts.

All of them, to my knowledge, use one or the other of two training programs for their armed teachers. Either the Guardian Program, a grass-roots, bottom-up developed program, or the School Marshal concept, a top-down, Legislature-created program. Out of the 300+ schools, only a handful -- IIRC six -- uses School Marshals. All the others went with the Guardian Program.

The Guardian Program was developed by the earliest schools to adopt armed teachers. May very well have been developed by Harrold ISD, which to my knowledge was the very first Texas ISD to authorize armed teachers. There is a written version of it on the 'net, schools use it for a starting point and modify it for themselves. As I recall it calls for a psychological eval, or at least consideration, training by outside trainers in shooting and tactics, a response plan to be set up, and formal appointment by the school. The training that I have read about was significant, not just an afternoon at the range. Might be other stuff in the program, it's been awhile since I looked.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom