• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I came across a motorcycle jacket that is about my size fore $120.00 assuming that it’s made from a quality company would it be “safe” to buy and use. I know it’s hard to say without %100 sure if you don’t know manufacturer and have seen it yourself. So if it’s actually from a know quality company and I don’t see any obvious signs of falls what else should I look for or should I treat it like a helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    A used jacket would probably be ok, but I would pass on it myself. I would rather spend the money and buy new when it comes to safety equipment.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If there are no signs of damage or road rash, it could be safe; but are you willing to risk your life on it?

Helmets definitely have a shelf life and can have hidden issues if old. I'd never wear one I didn't own since new.

Good question. I’ve been convinced about not using a used as a daily helmet. I did buy a used one that was less then 5 years old for the safety class I plan on taking later this year. I’ll give the jacket some thought.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    A used jacket would probably be ok, but I would pass on it myself. I would rather spend the money and buy new when it comes to safety equipment.

I’m now thing after two “I would pass on the used jacket” I will stay with new. Just looking for ways to get reliable gear on a budget.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Depends on the material, leather can be repaired to new or better than condition depending on who does the work.

My 1st jacket was like new but $300 less than retail. Mesh with thermal and rain zip in liners but tent size too big so I only wear it in the winter with more layers below. 2nd jacket is mesh also but a proper, comfortable fit. The padding underneath the mesh is much more important. What protection level are they and what condition are the inserts in? They are easily replaced / upgraded if the shell is in good condition.

+60K miles of riding has given me the time to ponder and conclude, if I go down and the mesh shell is damaged, I'll automatically get a new one or in other words, they could be a one time use item. YMMV

Cycle Gear in Katy is the largest MC gear store I've been in.

justmax

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Well over 200,000 miles over a period of 40 years I never bought a new leather jacket. (I rode without a speedometer/odometer for about two years) All five or six I've ever had have been bought used, without any problem whatsoever.

Helmets, now that's another story. I have 2 old marathons right now with zip off earpieces that I've had for over 20 years and would never suspect a problem in either.

When it comes to any scuff marks or minor road rash, I would disregard it. If you can't make up a good story where it came from you probably don't fish either. Lol

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    Helmets, now that's another story. I have 2 old marathons right now with zip off earpieces that I've had for over 20 years and would never suspect a problem in either.
    I think as others mentioned, helmets supposedly do have a shelf life. I remember in my MSF class they gave us a cross-sectioned helmet and the foam inside was hard as a brick, just how the styrofoam ages and why they recommend buying a new helmet every so often. Off the top of my head (pun intended) I don't know how many years a helmet can last without dropping it but I'm probably over the limit for mine since its approaching 8 or so years. Probably fine for low-speed, looks, and conversation piece, but I would'nt wear a 20 year old helmet on the highway. Plastic gets brittle, foam gets hard, cushions and straps stretch, that could be the equivalent of wearing a brain bucket if enough pieces fail.

Jacket is probably safe used: most have a rigid plastic or foam back insert, and some rigid plastic elbow pads, plus whatever the race jackets have. That plastic has to be slightly flexible on your elbows and back, and most pads can be replaced. I personally wouldn't buy a used jacket knowing how much I sweat in mine for the hot months.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Leather can be inspected. I still run a Heine Gerick (sp?) my gf bought me in college. It has bounced twice on pavement without a scratch. So if you can't rip apart the seams and the leather is whole - it is good.

Helmet ... 5 years or a bounce - replace it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    If perhaps I had a chance to ride and didn't have a jacket and a buddy offered his lightly used one for me to wear, then hell yea. Nothing wrong with wearing a lightly worn jacket.. hell, probably broke-in and more comfortable. It took a couple of years to properly wear-in my last one. Fit is everything.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    The one caution that I would issue on jackets is to try it on before you buy it. Sizing on a lot of import jackets runs very small. This applies to new or used purchases.

In most western clothing I'll take a 2xl TALL. I recently bought a ventilated jacket from Marketplace. It was a 5xl. I wanted it to fit loose so I thought that I would at least try it on to see....yep. All of a sudden I'm a 5x? Well, if it doesn't fit you must acquit.....it fit like it was made for me.

Some other fit guidelines that are not always apparent to someone just beginning to ride. A good fit might mean that you want enough room to layer base clothing under it for cool temps. If you hang your arms down the sleeve should come down to cover the first knuckle on your hands. Once your arms are extended to the handlebars your jacket will pull up and the sleeves will be perfect. If you buy the jacket that fits with your arms down at your side, it will be too short with your arms up on the handlebars.

Next, you want to be sure that the body of the jacket is long enough to cover the small of your back while seated on the motorcycle. Riding posture on a sport bike will really get you on this one. A jacket that doesn't come down past your waist will pull up when you lean forward.

Armour? well......That's your call. I don't wear padded leather but my textile jackets do have some padding.

I don't see a problem with used gear as long as it's in good shape. Gathering all the gear can be a lifelong pursuit. It's a hobby on it's own. Used gear will allow you to try new things without breaking the bank. Purpose built clothing is the only way to go. I bought a nearly new Schott model 141 leather jacket that retailed for 800 bucks and I paid 75 for it......and it fits right.

Top Bottom