• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Keep in mind, "surviving" in the USAF means staying in a 2-star hotel with only basic cable!

But for that price, it's probably has enough good info in it to make it worth the money. You can pretty much get the same info from most other survival books, and many of military versions are available free online in softcopy, such as the Multiservice Survival, Evasion and Recovery Manual.

I've had a hardcopy the Army's version (FM 21-76) in the center console of the Jeep for years, just in case; but I've never had to reference it.

I'm not sure if it is the same as this (Air Force Pamphlet 36-2246, Aircrew Survival), but this video gives a good overview of what's in that document...

Cheers! M2

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have several in my Survival library, the Army FM 21-76, the SAS survival series of books by Barry Davies BEM, and other military manuals from countries of different climates.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I got one from Barnes & Noble last year called " The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics,and Techniques. 14.95 on sale.
    It has 954 pages of more info than you would probably need .
    2009 edition from Fall River Press .
    Took me a few weeks to read it all LOL.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Keep in mind, "surviving" in the USAF means staying in a 2-star hotel with only basic cable!
    LMAO... While this is true of most of the enlisted personnel, pilots and navigators can rather unexpectedly find themselves dropped deep within enemy territory. I wouldn't laugh at survival preparedness if I were them. Of course I was smart and chose to enlist. Let the officers go fight

I picked up that book at Half Price on a whim awhile back, but never even cracked it open. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna take a gander at it tonight.

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    LMAO... While this is true of most of the enlisted personnel, pilots and navigators can rather unexpectedly find themselves dropped deep within enemy territory. I wouldn't laugh at survival preparedness if I were them. Of course I was smart and chose to enlist. Let the officers go fight

I picked up that book at Half Price on a whim awhile back, but never even cracked it open. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna take a gander at it tonight.
    let me know what you think about it

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Was on both sides (prior enlisted) and while most aircrew (and not all are officers) are trained in SERE, the vast majority of the USAF doesn't have to worry too much about surviving in hostile environments. Of course, some of the billeting I had to say in that was within per diem was located in places that should have generated hazardous duty pay (the hotel I stayed in just outside of the Atlanta Hartsfield Airport is probably the scariest place I've ever been, and I've been to Afghanistan twice!).

I'm just kidding, of course, but the reputation of the Air Force as having the greatest ability to find cozy habitats is well deserved. As the old USAF axiom goes, any fool can suffer!

(By the way, my Dad was an Army Combat Engineer in Korea and Vietnam, and insisted I join the USAF!).

Cheers! M2

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm just kidding, of course, but the reputation of the Air Force as having the greatest ability to find cozy habitats is well deserved.
    This reminds me of when a buddy of mine got sent to Bosnia. They had hired out a hotel to use as a barracks. He sent me some pictures and the place was nice. Marble floors and counters, big rooms, maid service, satellite TV, and internet. It did have a little bit of bomb damage, but that section was just closed off. Leave it to the AF to find a 5-star hotel in the middle of a war zone

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    This reminds me of when a buddy of mine got sent to Bosnia. They had hired out a hotel to use as a barracks. He sent me some pictures and the place was nice. Marble floors and counters, big rooms, maid service, satellite TV, and internet. It did have a little bit of bomb damage, but that section was just closed off. Leave it to the AF to find a 5-star hotel in the middle of a war zone

the air force always has the best stuff. why do you think everyone steals from them. oops i mean borrows. they had a fob that had steak and lobster nights until the grunts came in. i still have a few manuals and brevity codes. why? i have no idea, but its nice to read sometimes.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

That sure as hell wasn't my experience in Sarajevo! We were living in an old resort hotel, but the lead paint was peeling off the walls exposing the asbestos. We had two metal bunkbeds in the our room which was so narrow that I could stand in the middle and touch both. No marble floors that I could remember, definitely no maids or satellite TV (we had people mail us VHS tapes of 'South Park') and no Internet outside of work (and even then it was sketchy). The basement was sealed off because the Serbs had massacred Bosniaks in the compound and dumped their bodies down there.

Still, it was a great time and I miss the adventure. Got to do and see things that most people would never dream of. That country had a lasting impact on me, both good and bad, and it was an experience I will never forget.

And I believe the place where I stayed has been renovated back into a resort. I hope so, it was a beautiful area destroyed by an unnecessary war.

That said, I will admit that more of my TDYs were staying in Marriotts than 30-man GP tents!

Cheers! M2

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, its second hand info, so he might have been embellishing a bit. I never asked, but I suspect the airmen had something to do with the TV and internet. That's what you get when you put all the tech controllers and other comm guys in one spot, lol...

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    We had AF E-1's - E-3's get attached to us once while i was in Korea. They were given E-7 & E-8 barracks and still got $800 a month for substandard living conditions. They basically got 2 bedroom apartments with carpeted floors, their own kitchens, their own bathrooms, individual AC, Patios/balconies. Where Army E-5's and below were housed 4 to a room that was the size of the living rooms in the E-7 & E-8 barracks. E-6's were two to a room of the same size. E-7's were two per 'apartment' and the E-8's got them to their selves.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We had AF E-1's - E-3's get attached to us once while i was in Korea. They were given E-7 & E-8 barracks and still got $800 a month for substandard living conditions. They basically got 2 bedroom apartments with carpeted floors, their own kitchens, their own bathrooms, individual AC, Patios/balconies. Where Army E-5's and below were housed 4 to a room that was the size of the living rooms in the E-7 & E-8 barracks. E-6's were two to a room of the same size. E-7's were two per 'apartment' and the E-8's got them to their selves.

Well, that's what you get for joining the Army!

But that's why my Dad convinced me to join the USAF. During the war he worked a lot with the Air Force, and raved about how he was billeted in places with real floors, dry/warm bunks, and served three hot meals a day; stuff he never got in the Army!

I like to think of it as 'evolution!'

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom