Texas SOT

US Army Corp Of Engineers Recreational land....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Its just a simple letter.

Give them your name address and phone number. The facilities /lakes you wish to carry at if more then one. And tell them you wish to have this lettwr until the official rule change as required by the Federal court ruling in the Nesbitt v USACE case that rules the current rules unconstitutional. And leave it at that.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I did get an update....

Of course the election could cause this to change....

However, There is a 95% chance probability that the rule change will be effective on March 1 2021.

The new rule will be identicle to the rule for National Parks, in so far as that you will be required to follow the laws of the state that the USACE recreational sight is in.

Thus if the state is constiutional carry, or allows open carry, or only conceal carry etc...

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    While this isn’t legislation... it does have to do with rules and regulations on recreational land owned or leased by the US Army Corp of engineers.

Many Texas state parks lease land from the USACE.

If you carry a firearm on USACE land without permission you can be written a $500 misdemeanor ticket.

however, these rules will be changing in the future. When exactly it is hard to say.they should change within the next year though. Why?

In 2018 the USACE lost a case in federal court on these rules (327.13) (Nesbitt v USACE) The federal courts ruled that 327.13 was unconstitutional and violated the 2nd amendment.

Because of this some park rangers as well as other law enforcement may not always write a ticket. Especially if your not breaking any other laws or other wise being a nuisance and other types of trouble maker problems. Most know that the judges will throw the ticket out, because of its unconstitutional nature and the fact you could appeal to it a higher court for being unconstitutional. The officers know that to do that, will still cost you money to hire a lawyer to do this for you and thus the lawyers fees becomes your “fine”. However if your keeping your gun concealed and not being a troublemaker, you might be ok. But I’m not a lawyer, and it is still technically illegal to carry on USACE property.

The USACE did have a rule change process with public comment until June of 2020. So the process to have the rule changed is being processed. When they will initiate the rule change though is anyone’s guess.

In the mean time, you can request from each local director written permission. If you mention Nisbett v USACE and that it was ruled unconstitutional (without being an a$$) most will give you written permission in Texas, providing you have a Texas LTC.

Very interesting. Do we have any USACE lands here in Texas?

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Would the rule change apply to Big Bend NATIONAL Park?

Last few years I've been taking the dirt bike down there with some friends and riding the trails inside the park, the BB state park and BB ranch roads. OK to carry on the ranch roads, but you never know when a trail will cross into the national or state park.

As long as you have a Texas LTC or one that Texas recognizes you can carry on Big Bend State or National Parks. But you canr carry inside any building.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Very interesting. Do we have any USACE lands here in Texas?

Looks like the trails along the Dallas Trinity River Levee system may also fall with the USACE’s jurisdiction:

The trails are just south of downtown Dallas. I’ve mountain biked and hiked them. The dirt levee access roads go for miles and miles. I’ve never felt unsafe on them, but I wouldn’t say Dallas has a relatively low crime rate, either.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Looks like the trails along the Dallas Trinity River Levee system may also fall with the USACE’s jurisdiction:

The trails are just south of downtown Dallas. I’ve mountain biked and hiked them. The dirt levee access roads go for miles and miles. I’ve never felt unsafe on them, but I wouldn’t say Dallas has a relatively low crime rate, either.

Yes they are,

However come March 1, 2021 the nee rule will go into effect... Barring any stupid acts of Biden.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    if you get caught, it wasn't concealed worth a hoot. I could curl your hair with some CCW stories. :-) A punk named Raul Walters, '70's IPSC shottist, tried to take me out of a match cause I''d beaten him so often on his home range after driving 190 miles to do just that. He sicced the cops on me for ccw in the match hotel, in Golden CO, at the 77 IPSC nationals. But Cooper had cleared it with the hotel owners for use to CCW on their property, so the cops had to leave without me. :-) I had driven out there with Bill Wilson and bill had warned me that he saw the punk's eyes fly open when he leaned over our table in the motel cafe. I was wearing a Bruce Nelson cross draw inside of a jacket. So I trotted outside, took the gun apart, and stashed the pieces in different place. After the cops left, I retrieved them and told Hackathorn and Rick Miller what Walters had done.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    if you get caught, it wasn't concealed worth a hoot. I could curl your hair with some CCW stories. :-) A punk named Raul Walters, '70's IPSC shottist, tried to take me out of a match cause I''d beaten him so often on his home range after driving 190 miles to do just that. He sicced the cops on me for ccw in the match hotel, in Golden CO, at the 77 IPSC nationals. But Cooper had cleared it with the hotel owners for use to CCW on their property, so the cops had to leave without me. :-) I had driven out there with Bill Wilson and bill had warned me that he saw the punk's eyes fly open when he leaned over our table in the motel cafe. I was wearing a Bruce Nelson cross draw inside of a jacket. So I trotted outside, took the gun apart, and stashed the pieces in different place. After the cops left, I retrieved them and told Hackathorn and Rick Miller what Walters had done.

Well come March 1, each USACE recreation area will follow whatever is legal for the state they are in. Thus if they are permitless open and concealed carry. one wont need a permit. Or if the state even allows permited open or concealed carry.

Of course... Since its not active yet... things could change

Top Bottom