• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsheffield2010

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hello everyone I’m new to building an AR 15 and I am wanting to build a couple for me and one for my wife. I’m wanting a 556/223 rifle for defense, and I’m wanting to build two longer range rifles for me and my wife. For her I would like to keep 556, and for me I am looking at the 6.5 Grendel. Mine will use the same lower between both uppers. My questions are would it be better to build a A.R. pistol for my defensive gun or keep the 16 inch barrel (no tax stamp). If so what size pistol barrel should I go with to get the most effectiveness out of the round. As for the 6.5 Grendel what is the best barrel lengths for shots out to 500 yards. My wife is only going to be shooting out to 100 yards off bench so I’m sticking with an 18 inch barrel. I know these are noob questions but would rather know now then spend the money to find out later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    10.5" seems to be the go to pistol barrel length.

20" for your Grendel will work but longer is better. 500 yards can be done with a short pistol barrel for that round.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I purchased a used 7.5" barrel in an AR15 pistol. Dayum thing was a noisemaker and the PWS muzzle device that sent everything out the front looked like a Fourth of July fireworks show. Now I know why the guy sold the short barrel.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Here is another option. A 11.5” barrel is only marginally longer than the 10 but with a 5” C.A.R. Style flash hinder will make a 16” carbine. While this is not important now should pistol length ARs be banned a standard FH like an A2 can be removed and the flash hider mentioned above can be tack welded in place making the pistol a legal rifle.

dsheffield2010

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yeah but trying to find a complete upper within my price range other than 10.5 inches is being a little difficult. in the legality terms of it what the government don’t know won’t hurt them and if they did ever ban a certain type of weapon none of my stuff is registered so they can attempt to find whatever they want.

True Manufacturing

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    I think the answer to your question is probably a little more complicated. The 10.5" barrel is a popular choice but I don't think that has any scientific foundation. It probably depends on the round weight and gas system.

The big takeaway is that pretty much any barrel can work as long as you have a properly tuned gas system for the round you plan to shoot the most.

If you haven't already, spend a little time learning about adjustable gas systems, different buffer weights, and how to tune the rifle to shoot flat and repeatable.

Most builds are way way over-gassed and this makes shooting unnecessarily difficult.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hello everyone I’m new to building an AR 15 and I am wanting to build a couple for me and one for my wife. I’m wanting a 556/223 rifle for defense, and I’m wanting to build two longer range rifles for me and my wife. For her I would like to keep 556, and for me I am looking at the 6.5 Grendel. Mine will use the same lower between both uppers. My questions are would it be better to build a A.R. pistol for my defensive gun or keep the 16 inch barrel (no tax stamp). If so what size pistol barrel should I go with to get the most effectiveness out of the round. As for the 6.5 Grendel what is the best barrel lengths for shots out to 500 yards. My wife is only going to be shooting out to 100 yards off bench so I’m sticking with an 18 inch barrel. I know these are noob questions but would rather know now then spend the money to find out later.

Welcome to the Forum!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The shorter the barrel the bigger the light show and concussion will be (with full power rounds). My 10.5" AR pistol has quite a blast in every direction but to the rear. Somewhat reduced by one of the cans that is supposed to direct everything downrange. I would just stay with a standard AR15 with a 16" barrel and no stamp. It isn't exotic but it works well. Always the possibility or a AR9mm with a 16" barrel too.

Would make a nice carbine too! Also share ammo with a pistol. It would be fairly quiet silenced (with 147 grain bullets) as well (there is that tax stamp again).

Top Bottom