• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I went to a pulmonoligist on Friday took a lung function test and had a CT scan. Cost me over a grand even with my copays. Long story short. I dont have cancer, covid, or TB. Unfortunately I have only 51% lung function, which shocked me as I felt pretty normal and am pretty active. Doctor saw some scarring on my left lung he said it was from asthma. I know what it is actually from and it happened when I was 21 and stupid. He put me on advair and I get to pay another 1k in 6 weeks to see if my lung function improved.

COPD runs in my family and I was a smoker for 16 years before I quit in 2013. Let's hope I quit soon enough it doesn't affect me later in life. If not, I guess lung transplant is always an option ;-)
    Gun Zone Deals

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'm assuming they did the scan with IV contrast dye. Green Imaging does this for $275-375 cash (fees are for the greater Houston area but probably similar for your area). They have locations relatively near you.

Is that better than what you paid?

eb8c8e0301fc16b88793c5b251abde44.jpg

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    There may be cash pay pulmonologists as well or cash pay function tests. You might ask your doc if they have a lower cash price.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    There may be cash pay pulmonologists as well or cash pay function tests. You might ask your doc if they have a lower cash price.

The insurance paid a lot. The CT scan was about 400 bucks. The Lung function test was about 400 and then seeing a pulmonoligist was about 200.

It's no worries I'll let my insurance do it's thing. I'm not destitute and all of my care is through BSW. They do a pretty good job.

Damn it. Prayers for you.
    Hope your lungs improve.

The lung function thing was a little surprising. They said with abuterol it went to 61% so they're giving me advair and then testing me again in 6 weeks. Advair is 400 bucks with my insurance it was 8. honestly guys Ive never felt out of breath or breathless since I was a little kid. Even when doing serious exercise which I need to start again.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    If you are asymptomatic I don't know why you should take meds to "improve" the value on a pulmonary function test. When they put that oximeter on your finger was your pO2 good (98 or so)? I had a pulmonary function test years ago, got results showing a decrease, was put on similar expensive meds, saw no change in my life's functions so what the hell?
    Many years as a smoker hadn't helped but I quit over 40 years ago and I take enough meds now. I also bought an inexpensive digit pulse oximeter on Amazon. I do not take pulmonary meds. I don't know that improving a pulmonary function test means a better outcome for you (or me) when we are asymptomatic and our O2 level is good. Not medical advice so take it with a grain of salt.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    If you are asymptomatic I don't know why you should take meds to "improve" the value on a pulmonary function test. When they put that oximeter on your finger was your pO2 good (98 or so)? I had a pulmonary function test years ago, got results showing a decrease, was put on similar expensive meds, saw no change in my life's functions so what the hell?
    Many years as a smoker hadn't helped but I quit over 40 years ago and I take enough meds now. I also bought an inexpensive digit pulse oximeter on Amazon. I do not take pulmonary meds. I don't know that improving a pulmonary function test means a better outcome for you (or me) when we are asymptomatic and our O2 level is good. Not medical advice so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah my O2 is like 96 to 98 all the time.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Glad to hear that it should be a manageable type thing and that you'll still be around for a while. Still haven't been able to shoot your Canik yet. :)

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    That sucks. I hope for best results from the application of medication. I know all about the fun of medical care and bills. Before insurance, medical bills from my wife's hospitalization and Aleksander staying in NICU, CICU, heart surgery and more NICU, it was well over 1 mill. You'll be in our prayers

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    That sucks. I hope for best results from the application of medication. I know all about the fun of medical care and bills. Before insurance, medical bills from my wife's hospitalization and Aleksander staying in NICU, CICU, heart surgery and more NICU, it was well over 1 mill. You'll be in our prayers

When we were talking at the meet I was thinking silently about how much the medical costs must be for your family. Insurance is a god send.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    When we were talking at the meet I was thinking silently about how much the medical costs must be for your family. Insurance is a god send.
    It can be, if it's good insurance. It's certainly enough total to bankrupt me and keep me penniless for decades at my wage without insurance.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Hey DP I’ve taken Advair in the past. When I was getting so short of breath several years back I went to 2 different Dr. Very long story but the second Dr put me on Advair for 60 days. If you haven’t used one of these yet I strongly advise rinsing your mouth out after every dose you whoof down. I didn’t and within 2 days I started getting sores in my mouth. Rinse and you’ll have no issues there.

I also had some positive results from my dosage so I hope you see the same results or better.

I’m now managing my COPD through diet (working on that) and exercise with no medications. I stopped smoking 3 yrs ago. That’s been a big plus.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    What made you go to the Dr, if you want to say? If I'm reading correctly it sounds like you aren't having symptoms. The body can do amazing things. And compensate in amazing ways sometimes. I've told my friends many times it's hard to kill someone. I've seen things happen to patients and they come thru without a "scratch".

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    What made you go to the Dr, if you want to say? If I'm reading correctly it sounds like you aren't having symptoms. The body can do amazing things. And compensate in amazing ways sometimes. I've told my friends many times it's hard to kill someone. I've seen things happen to patients and they come thru without a "scratch".

I had a cough that lasted more than 2 months.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom