• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Live out in the country next to my best friend and the kids wanted to walk to grandmas through the woods one day. 5 kids and about 2 miles to grandmas so we said "take all the dogs with you" which was around 5 dogs or so.

As the story goes, apparently they encountered a black panther n the woods. Obviously the dogs took wind of him and simply chased him up a tree. Post oak country in the winter time so everyting around was a skeleton. My oldest said they saw him very clearly, still, in the tree on a branch, screaming.

Ive never seen a large cat here. Everyone I know, HAS. (sad face)

Plenty of Bobcats

I work at a Prison location deep in the woods. Seen about everything the land has to offer. Foxes, Red Foxes, Yotes, Bald Eagles, more deer than you can count. My boy and I drove the circle around the prison one night and quit counting at 150.

Not-local stories..........

Seen a beach covered 2 layers deep in seals to where you couldnt see the sand. Just laying in the sun on a winters day molting.

Been face to face (4ft) with a huge Barracuda. That scared the crap outta me.

Black bear... none local. Saw some in Sequoia National Forest. Shenandoah National in Virginia. Short story....came around a corner in Shenandoah and a HUGE Black was laying in the road ON HIS BACK! Getting the morning sun on his tummy. He raised his head and looked at us...very unconcerned...finally rolled to his feet and lumbered over the cliff wall on the side of the road.

Unusually large...from hog hunting I would put him at 250-300. (Yes, I know they aren't supposed to get that big!)

Been charged by a Large Brown mamma with cubs. We were hiking the valley and she was up close to the ridge, prolly in the 3000 ft away range. We stood and watched the cubs play but she sat upright on her haunches constantly watching us too. Finally she got tired of it and charged about 3-4 leaps downhill and I swear she covered half that ground in 2-3 seconds....stopped and sat up again.

We took off quickly. Never been so scared by wildlife. She meant business.

Later on the same trip in base camp (pop. 200) with nightly Buffalo BBQ's....that morning, 4-5 big Browns casually checking through the camp for scraps. Neither bear nor person cared.

Seen whales. Hawaii and Cali. Wild Ferrets Hawaii. Big Horn Ram family in a dry river basin under a tree in Zion National. Wild roosters in Hawaii are amazingly gorgeous and rival peacocks.

Too long winded this mornin....enjoy.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    And then there's that jackass possum that keeps trying to waddle into my forge when I'm working after dark. Acts like it owns the place and I have to stop what I'm doing and chase it out. Not that possums are rare or anything, but it's unusual to see one quite this entitled and showing no fear.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Spent some time down in South Texas last week. First time to see a Mexican Eagle and a Coral Snake in the wild.

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

e0at

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    San Antonio, TX
    Interestingly enough, I saw a wolf sized reddish black creature on my way back home late at night from a friend's place September of last year. It was walking around in a decently populated neighborhood, and its shoulders had to have been up past my stomach height. I had turned on my high beams to follow it and had missed my turn, slowly pacing after it in my vehicle. The high beam light seemed to absorb into it's matted fur, and it had a strange wobble to it with very exaggerated footsteps as it's shoulders bounced from step to step. I followed it to a house with a red garage door, and without so much as changing it's pace it leaped a fence nearly 6 feet tall. I got out of my car and stared for a while before proceeding home. My girlfriend and I drove back to this house together a week later, then again on Halloween last year while I retold the spooky tale (it's literally less than a mile from my house) and it was the only house on the block to consistently have none of it's lights on, inside or out. Im moving soon but I want to knock on the door before I leave without getting cursed lol. Still have absolutely no idea what that thing was or why it never even turned around at all the whole time. San Antonio man, crazy stuff happens here.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I saw a badger cross the road just west of Johnson City. That is the only time I have seen one in the wild. I thought it would be too rocky there for them to burrow easily.
    Saw them frequently out on the caprock north of Odessa.

Come up on them in the truck and they don't change their pace at all. Just glare at you as they mosey along their way.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I took this photo of a Common Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita). He doesn’t belong in Texas muchless the United States. I took the photo just south of Waller, Texas.
    It is a migratory passerine which winters in southern and western Europe, southern Asia and north Africa. Found throughout Eurasia, migrates into Africa during winter months.

BA22BE52-4A51-4779-8D2B-A75334B2D2D9.jpeg

Top Bottom