• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cooltouch

Jan 10, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I've got an old Uberti 1873 SAA style revolver with the single word "Regulator" inscribed on the barrel and I need a couple of parts for it.

The hand broke during my last outing to the range with it. This is the model with the old style flat hand spring. I had to replace the hand spring a few years ago and I'd just as soon not try to pry the spring out of the hand to reuse it, so I'm looking for a hand assembly, which would include the spring, already attached.

I've been searching online for replacements, but I'm running into listing after listing that says "no longer available." I don't want to think that this fine old shooter will have to be permanently retired because I can no longer find a hand for it. So I'm hoping someone here might have an idea where I might try to find it. I've tried Brownells and Numrich and Midway and several others, and I'm striking out. But I'm not giving up.

Is it possible to convert one of these old-style revolvers such that it can use a hand with coil spring? If so, what sort of modifications would have to be made to the gun? I have a milling machine and a drill press and a fair number of hand tools, so I'm hoping that, if this conversion is possible, it's something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you'd care to offer.
    Texas SOT

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    VMI gun parts.
    You might try the Ebay as well

You can probably modify a later version into what you need.

cooltouch

Jan 10, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks, guys. As a matter of fact, I just found VTI Gun Parts a few minutes ago, and located exactly what I need. Placed an order.

Moonpie, I wouldn't mind knowing if it's possible to convert this old style Uberti to the newer style with the coil spring. I've been searching this topic, but so far, nothing yet.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Without seeing the internals I cannot begin to say.

Compare the new hand with the older broken one?
    There can't be that big of a difference.
    You may be able to file down the new one to match the old hands contours?

cooltouch

Jan 10, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Just looking at the exploded diagrams it's hard to tell. But given that the new hand is actuated by a coil spring, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recess somewhere for the spring to fit into.

It appears though, looking at pics of the parts themselves, that there's a considerable difference in hand design. So I dunno how extensive any retrofitting may be. I hope to find out, though.

cooltouch

Jan 10, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I should have gotten back here over a week ago and posted an update. The new hand with spring came in the mail just a few days after I ordered it. I compared the new hand with the old and there was a fair amount of difference in the shape of the two, mostly where one side of the hand had been filed down in a beveled sort of direction. I went ahead and fitted it as is though to see if it would work. It didn't. So I pulled it back out and set to the hand with a couple of small files, doing my best to duplicate the shape of the old hand. Fitted it back up and it worked perfectly, with the pistol spelling C O L T in a satisfying manner now. With the old hand, there was a noticeable amount of slack in the lock up before the hammer was drawn back, but once it was drawn, the cylinder was locked up tight. Now, however, the cylinder shows only the slightest amount of slack before drawing back the hammer, and of course, once the hammer is drawn back, the cylinder is again locked down tight.

So, the old Regulator is back in business again. I'm looking forward to getting back out to the range with it. I guess they're not all that common where I go because it drew admiring comments from both the shooter next to me and the range master who checked firearms during the range breaks.

Top Bottom