Two cartridges that I love that everyone else hates.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    FL
    In my LE career, I have carried three cartridges, all in GLOCKs.

9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .45 GAP.

Everyone loves 9x19mm, so that isn't the one of the two cartridges I'm talking about. Yup, I'm a dirty .40 S&W and .45 GAP lover. I actually like both. Yeah, I have a ton of 9x19mm and .45 ACP in my personal collection. But I really like .40 S&W and .45 GAP. I like it so much, while I don't have a GLOCK chambered in .45 GAP anymore (it was agency issue, never a private purchased piece). I have .45 GAP loaded on moonclips for my S&W Model 625-6 and the Colt M1917 and S&W M1917.

And for .40 S&W, I have GLOCKs, S&Ws, Berettas, Brownings, HKs, and SIG all chambered in it. But with my S&W Model 610-2 now in my collection. I also have moonclips loaded in .40 S&W for the revolver.

1725244181254.png

1725244188528.png

I just like both cartridges and I wish that .45 GAP got a better chance than what it got. The biggest downfall with .45 GAP was that it wasn't chambered in enough guns. You have the GLOCK 37, 38, and 39. Plus a short run of a Springfield Armory XD full-size and a Para Ordnance compact 1911. There were no Berettas, HK, FNs, nor SIG chambered in it.

But the biggest killer of the .45 GAP was actually the ending of the Clinton AWB. Remember, new guns were limited to 10rds or less. A GLOCK 37 held 10rds of .45 GAP without any block installed in the magazine. It just naturally fit 10rds.

Now, I'm not in any way saying the ban should have been renewed (thank God it died the death that is did twenty years ago). But the .45 GAP was GLOCK as a company hedging their bets for a product to take root in an artificially neutered market. If the AWB didn't expire, the .45 GAP would have probably gained popularity due to the fact that a lot of consumers hated having a gun with "dead space" in the magazine. A neutered GLOCK 17 magazine was just wasted space. But a GLOCK 37 was all that space being used up.

Consumers back then figured "if I can't get 17rds of 9mm, I'll get 10rds of .40 or .45." Folks went with "there's no replacement for displacement."

But the AWB did die and the buying populace in the majority of the country was able to freely buy 17rd mags again. And .45 GAP lingered on into the Gen 4 roll-over but died as a duty cartridge in the 2010s when the big 5 state agencies ditched it. FL, GA, NY, PA, and SC all issued it to their State Police/Highway Patrol. But soon enough, those agencies along with the municipal agencies that followed suit dropped the cartridge and the guns chambered in them.

.40 S&W stayed around much longer in police holsters and there are still some holdouts. But the Centimeter Cartridge will soon be retired as a LE cartridge, much like how .41 Magnum and .357 SIG have been in their service histories.

In the end, I'm not ditching my .40 S&Ws and if I continue to find .45 GAP ammo for the cheap, I'll buy it up. But I think the batch of ammo I have is going to be it and there'll be no more replacement.

Alas.... I enjoyed .45 GAP and I will continue to enjoy .40 S&W.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I didn't expect .45GAP to become popular but thought .40S&W would be more common than than it is today. I have four pistols chambered for it, but hadn't fired them recently due to cost and availability of ammunition. Recently as I was moving from my former TN home, I found 2000 rounds of .40S&W as I cleaned out the garage.

Miami_JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    FL
    I didn't expect .45GAP to become popular but thought .40S&W would be more common than than it is today. I have four pistols chambered for it, but hadn't fired them recently due to cost and availability of ammunition. Recently as I was moving from my former TN home, I found 2000 rounds of .40S&W as I cleaned out the garage.
    Finding "free" ammo is always a good thing.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I like the 40 S&W also. It doesn't necessarily fill a need but I have a ton of ammo and reloading components for it.

If I was starting new I probably wouldn't invest in it though. 9mm and 45aarp cover the bases.

The 45GAP was a turd on day one. I think what really killed it was manufacturers releasing 45aarp double stack handguns with smaller grips. The XD comes to mind.

Had they made it a 50GAP it would probably have stayed popular longer.

I do have really large hands though so my view may be tainted as to even need shorter rounds.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Back during one of the ammo droughts 40SW was the only handgun caliber that was plentiful. I ended up getting a G22c and a couple of Sigs pistols and ended up liking the caliber. Never had any interest in the 45GAP because I like the 45acp.

I did have a G31 in 357Sig that was a fun shooter but I sold it to a friend who wanted one.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I personally owned a Gen 3 G23C and carried a Gen 3 G23 as a detective. Personally, I prefer the G22, G24, and 27. Love 'em for my .40 S&W GLOCK needs.
    The G27 is the only glock I have, however it's resides on the safe shelf with an EMP and several other .40 pistols. I was happy to find the supply of .40 S&W ammo during my move to TX.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My old boss had a 45gap and we had fun with that pistol. I was loading for him and had a 230gr plated pushing almost 900 fps. So it was slightly faster than a 45acp but in a more compact frame. Sadly, the boss man died of covid in '21. I believe his son got all of his firearms but I never ran into him or I would have made an offer on the GAP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I have no issue with the .40 S&W in theory, but I've never owned or shot it. It should fill the gap between .357/9mm and .45 (11mm) perfectly, but with improvements in projectile design and the fact that 9 is so cheap it just never really has caught on.

Eli

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    40SW is weak 10mm. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. It's actually a great thing. It allows for people like me (you all who know me know) to shoot a larger caliber comfortably.

I've only fired 2 40SW pistols but I liked both of them.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    40SW is weak 10mm. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. It's actually a great thing. It allows for people like me (you all who know me know) to shoot a larger caliber comfortably.

I've only fired 2 40SW pistols but I liked both of them.
    Man I like the 10mm but you don't want to shoot it all day, that's for sure!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

‘’ .40 S&W’’

Years back, our Son says he looked into a LEO vs) BG shooting episode in a nearby jurisdiction.

BG driver shot at Deputy.

The Deputy returned fire w/ his .40.

BG drove away unharmed.

Once arrested, agency claimed BG’s auto was ‘’armored’’, as none of the FIVE .40’s had penetrated driver’s door.

Door, disassembled, was a regular Dodge MOPAR sheet metal door.

? Lessons ?

leVieux

p.s. Both agencies soon went back to 9mmPB.

<>

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    The only thing I would be interested in now would be a cheap .40 cal LE buyback firearm. Only thing keeping me from adding that caliber is the expense of the ammo.

Miami_JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    FL
    I like the 40 S&W also. It doesn't necessarily fill a need but I have a ton of ammo and reloading components for it.

If I was starting new I probably wouldn't invest in it though. 9mm and 45aarp cover the bases.

The 45GAP was a turd on day one. I think what really killed it was manufacturers releasing 45aarp double stack handguns with smaller grips. The XD comes to mind.

Had they made it a 50GAP it would probably have stayed popular longer.

I do have really large hands though so my view may be tainted as to even need shorter rounds.
    HS Produkt didn't make the .45 ACP pistol until after they made the .45 GAP model. Yeah, the .45 GAP came out before the .45 ACP for 'em.

Top Bottom