• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Looking into putting a new barrel on my Savage Precision pretty soon (6.5 CM) and saw Bartlein has a Savage Small shank in inventory, but the twist rate is listed as 1-8.5-7.5. Not sure what that is suppose to mean. I’ve never seen a barrel with 2 different twist rates. I think the lead time on a new barrel is a year. I’m not in a huge hurry, but I saw that and it peaked my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Go directly to the horses mouth, dont ask random TGT folk who will only lead you astray.... 262-677-1717

I sent them an inquiry. But I’m new to putting together a custom “precision” rifle, and I thought maybe it was a somewhat common thing that I just wasn’t aware of.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    WRONG! (see this is why I told the OP to go directly to the barrel maker) The barrel is an increasing twist with the tighter twist close to the muzzle. Talked with them awhile and got the real info.
    So he didn't read the description properly. It clearly states this on their page. The barrels have been around quite a while now.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Sorry that I bothered some of y’all! I did send a message directly to the company, and got a quick response with a great explanation as to what I wasn’t comprehending. And maybe I worded my question poorly in this thread, but as I said, I don’t know much about top notch precision rifle components, and “twist gain” is something I’ve never encountered. I just never though I’d see so much bitching about a rifle question being asked in the rifle section of an Internet gun forum!

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Sorry that I bothered some of y’all! I did send a message directly to the company, and got a quick response with a great explanation as to what I wasn’t comprehending. And maybe I worded my question poorly in this thread, but as I said, I don’t know much about top notch precision rifle components, and “twist gain” is something I’ve never encountered. I just never though I’d see so much bitching about a rifle question being asked in the rifle section of an Internet gun forum!

Don’t ask the wrong questions on ARF or Reddit. I think some folks just sit around waiting to talk down to folks that are trying to learn.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I don’t think anybody had a problem with you asking a question. Just that without knowing for sure most of us didn’t want to give a wrong answer and leave you with bad info.

At most, there was one post that came anywhere close to bitching, and it was more of a blame assignment than bitch. Just don’t take things so personal.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I don’t think anybody had a problem with you asking a question. Just that without knowing for sure most of us didn’t want to give a wrong answer and leave you with bad info.

At most, there was one post that came anywhere close to bitching, and it was more of a blame assignment than bitch. Just don’t take things so personal.

I was married for 25 years, I don’t take anything too personal! It just seemed (to me) like several of the posters were annoyed by my question.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    WRONG! (see this is why I told the OP to go directly to the barrel maker) The barrel is an increasing twist with the tighter twist close to the muzzle. Talked with them awhile and got the real info.
    Great advice, however the man came to our forum and got the correct info along with other folks ...THE FORUM works! Thanks to guys like YOU!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like you got your answer already but it’s called a gain twist barrel. Maximum 1 twist gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is the point of this? Reduce barrel wear at the throat?
    Seems complicated to me, but I’m way out of my league.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    What is the point of this? Reduce barrel wear at the throat?
    Seems complicated to me, but I’m way out of my league.

I talked to Bartlein quite a bit about it. It apparently was used in some larger calibers so the start wasn’t so hard slamming into a faster twist rifling. The guy I talked to said there’s no real advantage to using it on most rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    Not sure what the advantage was, but the M1891 Carcano long gun had twist gain although it was a 6.5 mm pill.

Top Bottom