• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    The more I look at barrels, the more I change my mind on what I want. After looking into the Shilen barrels, that seems like a pretty hard deal to beat. Basically drop in ready, for about the same price as others that need to be chambered and threaded. Made in Texas, and they have great reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Cody, Shilen is one of a bunch of companies that produce Pre-fit barrels for a Savage.
    You can save some $$ ordering a Shilen barrel from NSS. I'd suggest buying a new precision ground recoil lug & barrel nut also.

E.R. Shaw, McGowen, X-Caliber, Pac-Nor, Patriot Valley Arms and several other's also make pre-fit barrel's for Savage. They all will suit your needs with accuracy.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The more I look at barrels, the more I change my mind on what I want. After looking into the Shilen barrels, that seems like a pretty hard deal to beat. Basically drop in ready, for about the same price as others that need to be chambered and threaded. Made in Texas, and they have great reviews.

I heard the ratchet twist is the way to go if you order from Shilen.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Cody, Shilen is one of a bunch of companies that produce Pre-fit barrels for a Savage.
    You can save some $$ ordering a Shilen barrel from NSS. I'd suggest buying a new precision ground recoil lug & barrel nut also.

E.R. Shaw, McGowen, X-Caliber, Pac-Nor, Patriot Valley Arms and several other's also make pre-fit barrel's for Savage. They all will suit your needs with accuracy.

Appreciate it! I just assumed that ordering direct from Shilen wound be the least expensive, but NSS is a little cheaper. I may order one Monday. Now I’m debating on whether or not to install it myself or pay to get it done. I like doing the work myself, and a barrel installation with go/no go gauges shouldn’t be too hard.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I heard the ratchet twist is the way to go if you order from Shilen.

I've used both the 4 groove ratchet and their standard 6 groove rifling. I prefer the 6 groove rifling in Shilen barrel's.

In today's world of custom barrel's, unless you're trying to set records, almost any of the well known name brand barrel's will shoot better than most shooter's can.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Appreciate it! I just assumed that ordering direct from Shilen wound be the least expensive, but NSS is a little cheaper. I may order one Monday. Now I’m debating on whether or not to install it myself or pay to get it done. I like doing the work myself, and a barrel installation with go/no go gauges shouldn’t be too hard.

It's easy to do it, all you need is an Action Wrench and a Barrel Nut Wrench, along with the head space gauges. It just takes a few minutes to do it!

Top Bottom