• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    This past week my 2011 Tundra developed a vibration. I suspected an out of balance wheel, but had wife follow me and she didn't see any wheels out of balance.

So then I suspected the driveshaft. The rear driveshaft is 2-piece with three u-joints and a carrier bearing in the middle. So I crawled under the truck and felt for play in the u-joints. The u-joints seemed ok but there was a bit of play in the carrier bearing, so I got a replacement carrier bearing and removed the driveshaft.

Invariably every little project I tackle, problems arise and it turns into a major PITA.

The center u-joint must be half-way removed in order to remove the center support bearing which is attached to the forward portion of the 2-piece driveshaft. But before the center support bearing can be removed, the yoke that the afore mentioned u-joint connects must first be removed... But it is being a bitch to remove.

First I had to go back to the parts store to get a 30mm socket to remove the 30m nut that secures the yoke to the driveshaft, and I also went ahead and got three new u-joints because the center u-joint didn't look so good. After getting that 30mm nut removed, the yoke can slide off the driveshaft splines, but due to my luck it is stuck. I tried hammering it off without success. I tried a bearing puller but the yoke shape has no ledge for the puller fingers to grab.

So I consulted U-Tube... The videos show the SOB just tapping it with a hammer and it slides right off. Argh! So I sprayed it up really good with penetrating oil to let that soak in overnight.

I consulted more U-Tubes this morning and I've seen guys using a pneumatic impact hammer to get the damned yoke off with success. If I can find my pneumatic impact hammer I'll give that a try today. I'll also try getting a little more creative with the bearing puller. But I'm hoping the penetrating oil soaking in overnight lets me just tap it off with a hammer... Then I'll have the actual carrier bearing removal to contend with, which also soaked with penetrating oil overnight.

Wish me good luck please. Recommendations are welcome. I'll add pics and updates later.
    Guns International

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Here’s a pic of the offending carrrier bearing in the vise behind the problematic yoke that was difficult to remove:

IMG_5150.jpeg

The method that finally worked for removing the yoke was to place a deep-well socket where the u-joint was and hammer a chisel between:

IMG_5151.jpeg

I finally got it all back together Sunday. Drove it Monday and the vibration is still there - I’m pretty sure that I put the driveshaft back together out of phase. Even though I marked everything, all the penetrating oil I used obliterated a couple of the marks I made…. If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.

Top Bottom