Tumbling media question

unicom

Well-Known
May 19, 2016
I’m using walnut shell media and not very happy with the inside of the brass. I run the tumbler for about 2hrs roughly. Do I need to run it longer? Use different media like sand? Not sure what I’m not doing right. And occasionally a piece of the media will get stuck in the flash hole and need to be pushed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
I use corncob media. You want beautiful, wet tumble with stainless steel. To be honest, I don't care what the inside of my brass looks like. Yes, get the media out of the flash hole. I check all of my primer flash hole with one of those Lyman primer tools anyway.

noylj

Jun 18, 2011
arizona
20/40 corn
20/40 does not pack in primer pocket and corn produces almost none of the fine dust that nut hulls produce.
30 minutes produces all the clean you need.
In fact, simply wiping the case exterior with a rag is all the cleaning you need.
Ignore case interior or primer pocket, unless shooting real black powder. Neither effects performance.
Sorry, but you are worrying about a non-issue.

Reinz

Well-Known
Sep 5, 2014
East TX
I have, but probably used the wrong type.

I tried two different types; some kind of black abrasive sand stuff that turned my brass black. Then another abrasive that was sand like and tan colored. It cleaned the brass, but left it with a dull finish.

I just went back to corncob media. If I feel like doing more work to get shiny brass, I will wet tumble with pins.

Lonesome Dove

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Sep 25, 2018
Texas
I need new media and can’t figure out what to get. I have that crappy red died walnut and hate it. I had the green and was ok but never hd enough so I just mixed them. Lately I added a box of 100 1/4” washers in the mix and it made a big difference as in time related and it also helps keep the red build up off the tumbler walls. I may spring for the stainless pins.

baboon

TGT Addict
Stainless Steel pins with a little dish soap & Lemon Shine & water is amazing on cleaning brass. When you use it for the first time & dump out the water and see it's black, then see your brass your hooked. A vibrator never cleaned the inside of brass as far as I can remember.

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
TGT Supporter
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
Harbor Freight has walnut hulls, 25 lbs for $25. 2 different sizes. The large is what sticks in primer holes.

2 hours is not long enough for walnut hulls, I run mine overnight. About 1/2 cup Chrome polish and 1/2 cup 90% alcohol (used as a thinner) will treat 25 lbs. Helps with dust too. I use a cement mixer to mix it up and then add the brass.

EZ-E

Jo & the Ho gotta go!!!!
TGT Supporter
May 4, 2017
Middle of no where
I like wet tumbling personally. I tried dry media when i first started reloading...didn't care for it much.
You can get 5lbs of SS pins & a Harbor Freight double tumbler for under $100. It works pretty good for $60.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads