• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I've dabbled with True Blue and AA#5 in working on loads for my .45's.... I had almost "settled" on 10gr of True Blue as the load, and I always used just regular primers... either CCI or Winchester....

I decided to up it to 10.5gr using CCI mag primers. This is with a powder coated cast Lee 255 gr RF bullet.

Shot some across the chrono on Saturday.... the consistency was amazing. I've never had a load with this low of an extreme spread.... I didn't go through the calculations on the chrono, but I wrote down 10 rounds in a row. The spread was 11 fps. This was out of my Rossi lever gun... I shot 5 across the chrono from my 4" Redhawk, and got basically the same result, spread wise.
    The accuracy at 50 yards from the Rossi, with aperture sights was pretty good, for an old fat man with 70 yr old eyesight. 10 rounds into 2 3/4" measured with a caliper, when I got home.

I suppose it could be attributed to the mag primers giving more consistent ignition, or I might have just hit a sweet spot. Either way, I plan to load some more just like these, and try it again....

My biggest problem right now is that I'm about out of the bullets.... I need to fire up the pot and cast a bunch more, I guess. Might even try the Lee Liquid Alox, instead of PC'ing them...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would call that a win! Occasionally I'll do the same out of necessity or boredom. Try a new combo of a proven recipe. The only time I was let down by mag primers was when I had some give me consistently lower velocities across 2 powders in different ranges. Evidently Federal makes the mildest magnum primers known to man. I have heard about the theory of mag primers unseating a bullet before complete burn so maybe that was the case but occasionally I'll still run some to use them up.

I still need to do a little SxS comparison of Federal match and mag match with a recent rifle load I've worked up. Just to add to the data I might add some newer Winchester LR into the mix. I'd prefer to make them work instead of using my limited (4k) supply of 215Ms.

Top Bottom